Replace your cat probe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niko

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2013
Dutchess county, NY
ive been burning now for 4 to 5 years now and for the most part I love it. The learning curve for me is something that took a lil bit longer as im in the eastern north and only burn 24/7 for like 4 months out the year maybe 5. It took a while to master the wood and mositure contents, getting shorted for cord deliveries and pretty much making a mess and smoke spillage into the house lol. I can def say im way better and have it down to a science now. But just when i think i got my wood good, mositure good, getting a good price for wood(now i get log length) and keeping the house much cleaner i started getting confused on the activity of the cat. I was always seeing the cat in the inactive zone so i was turning my stove up to keep it in the active zone. Which in turn i was burning the wood much faster.

I have been complaining about the cat being non active now for about 2 seasons but the stupidity was on my part, last year i got a flue thermometer probe but never replaced my cat probe thermometer. I even took it to the point where i called my dealer up asking for a cat replacement under warranty. After some trouble shooting with Fransisco at Blaze King we came to 3 areas that might need attention, 1 the cat, 2 the thermostat and 3 the cat probe. I checked 2 and orderd number 3 from condor. BOOOOOOOOM what a huuuggggeee difference.

All i can say is order a dam cat probe if you own a cat stove. I cannot believe why i did not do this earlier and I cannot beleive seeing temperature numbers makes all the difference when it comes to understanding the actual stove temperature itself. I feel like now i can now master my max burn times on my stove just for the fact that my last probe was broken.

So anyways get a new cat probe if yours is old and you will feel like your stove is brand new again :)

Burning 24/7 for four months out of 12 is not exactly girly-man territory.

Are you finding with the new probe that your combustor is active where with the old probe under the same conditions it would indicate inactive?

Burning 24/7 for four months out of 12 is not exactly girly-man territory.

Are you finding with the new probe that your combustor is active where with the old probe under the same conditions it would indicate inactive?

O yeaaa. My old cat probe would go inactive 1 hr after turning my thermostat down and from that happening i thought my cat was dead. I also can see how much lower i can run the stove with the cat still being active.

What happened to your cat probe that it went bad that fast?

I replaced my old cat meter with a numbered one from condar too. Did you know that you can calibrate the cat meter? I doubt your old one failed but they do lose their “zero”.

What happened to your cat probe that it went bad that fast?

Not sure why it went bad but after speaking with blaze king they sent me a picture of where their probe is zerod out and mine was was way off.

I replaced my old cat meter with a numbered one from condar too. Did you know that you can calibrate the cat meter? I doubt your old one failed but they do lose their “zero”.

I had no idea you can calibrate one, but to be honest i like the numbers way better :). Its a very small investment and the would recommend manufacturers actually using this type vs what they are using now.

Reactions: Highbeam
I had no idea you can calibrate one, but to be honest i like the numbers way better :). Its a very small investment and the would recommend manufacturers actually using this type vs what they are using now.
Niko,

Not if you were a manufacturer! When we used the ones with the numbers, we would get 10+ calls everyday, EVERY DAY, "Hey my needle said 1,200F about an hour ago and now it says 1150F. I think there is something wrong with my combustor or stove."

Niko,

Not if you were a manufacturer! When we used the ones with the numbers, we would get 10+ calls everyday, EVERY DAY, "Hey my needle said 1,200F about an hour ago and now it says 1150F. I think there is something wrong with my combustor or stove."

Lol well at least you got one less person calling for now :). Tell Fransisco thanks for his help.

I do not have my Chinook yet, but I already purchased another Auber AT100 car probe.

Those heat spring controlled meters are from the past century it seems.....