Repair Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MorningDew

Dec 1, 2020
San Diego
Been in our home for 3 years. We live in a cooler part of San Diego county and use the fireplace all winter long, instead of the heater, sometimes 24 hours long.

Fireplace has been used a couple of times this year. I have noticed that the back is ‘opening up’, I presume from extended heat.

I’m a pretty handy guy, have numerous construction skills. However, I want to be certain on this one. Is this something I can repair myself? Do I need to hire some one? What should I use? What is the process?

Repair Advice Needed

Been in our home for 3 years. We live in a cooler part of San Diego county and use the fireplace all winter long, instead of the heater, sometimes 24 hours long.

Fireplace has been used a couple of times this year. I have noticed that the back is ‘opening up’, I presume from extended heat.

I’m a pretty handy guy, have numerous construction skills. However, I want to be certain on this one. Is this something I can repair myself? Do I need to hire some one? What should I use? What is the process?

View attachment 268120
Locate the make and model of your fireplace. Probably on a tag inside the front frame and order new panels. Also most fireplaces like yours clearly say they are not meant to be heaters

Reactions: MorningDew
Geez, I lived in San Diego for several years. Barely ever needed to use the heat, let alone a fireplace. I thought this was the whole reason people lived in San Diego! ;)

Reactions: MorningDew