Removing wood-burning insert and adding Gas fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jram

Dec 27, 2017
Minnesota
Hello All,
I have a drafty Heatilator A36C wood burning insert that I would like to remove, I would then like to add a gas fireplace. Is this as easy as just removing the old,framing for the new, and then installing? I From what I've read, it looks like I can use my existing 12 inch metal chimney for the intake and exhaust pipes. I have a corner install that was put in 17 years ago.
I have also noticed that it has a blower kit so there is already an outlet under the existing fireplace. I know that I will have to have gas run to the area.
My main concern is that the existing flue lets air in as the damper is warped. Will air still get in if I have a gas unit?

My main concern is that the existing flue lets air in as the damper is warped. Will air still get in if I have a gas unit?

if you keep the same warped damper i would have to guess yes.