removing entire damper plate assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwells794

Jul 22, 2015
Virginia
I apologize that this has already been asked before, but the thread on it was locked so I'll ask in a new thread. I have a cast iron damper plate with the door already removed. If I wanted to get this sucker out, what's the best way to go about it? A guy from Rockford Chimney Supply told me I could beat it with a hammer and try to shatter it out. That seems a little... primitive, but maybe it will work? I also found an article where a guy used a pry bar to attack the mortar and popped his out that way. When originally installed, are they just set into wet mortar, or are the ends actually mortared over holding it down? Either way, my house was built in '58. Maybe the mortar is brittle enough to pop it out with a hammer? Maybe hitting a 2"x4" as a "chisel" of sorts instead of banging directly on the damper and causing a racket? I don't like the idea of cutting with a saw or otherwise mutilating the brick. if I ever sold the house and the buyers wanted to convert back to a normal fireplace, I could get a damper cap to throw up on top of the chimney. I just want this plate GONE! lol attached is a photo of the gentleman who removed his plate via the prying method.

Attachments

• removing entire damper plate assembly
    Damper%20Out[1].JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 480
Curious about why you want it removed?

I haven't given up on the woodstove idea just yet. I'll be running a liner through the chimney with new top plate and cap. attached is a picture of MY damper plate. the tab sticking out is right smack in the middle which making it hard to avoid. plus, removing the plate gives more clearance to avoid as much ovalizing as possible. Like I said before, if it ever needs to be converted back to standard fireplace, ill just swap out the cap... dunzo.
removing entire damper plate assembly

You will rarley get it out in one peice. There just is not enough room to lift it up enough to get it turned usually. That being said i have yet to have to take a frame out completly in order to get a 6" liner in without ovalizing. Just cut the back out occasionally a brick or 2 will need to come out as well but that is easy to fix if you want to put it back to a fireplace. And honestly as long as you make clean cuts the frame can be put back together as well

That tab should come right out in a few minutes with a grinder or even a hacksaw.

Last edited:
You will rarley get it out in one peice. There just is not enough room to lift it up enough to get it turned usually. That being said i have yet to have to take a frame out completly in order to get a 6" liner in without ovalizing. Just cut the back out occasionally a brick or 2 will need to come out as well but that is easy to fix if you want to put it back to a fireplace. And honestly as long as you make clean cuts the frame can be put back together as well

lets assume im ok with getting it out in 2 pieces.... or even just leaving it over on the smoke shelf... how hard is it to just dislodge it?

lets assume im ok with getting it out in 2 pieces.... or even just leaving it over on the smoke shelf... how hard is it to just dislodge it?
I have no idea how yours is some are not all that hard some are impossible without disassembling the firebox completely. I would say most are not coming out in less than 5 or 6 peices

Status
Not open for further replies.