Removing a pellet insert - Reinstalling damper and adding glass doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Estarrio

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2007
Mass / RI
I'm considering removing a pellet insert from my fireplace. I barely used it. Most of my heat comes from the pellet stove in my finished basement.

I'd be removing the pellet stove, installing a new cap on the chimney, re-installing the damper and then adding glass doors.

Is this a crazy idea? We get frequent power outages and I'd like the option to light a fire in the winter. I'd also like the ambiance of a traditional fire. Do the glass doors combat the heat lost through the chimney enough to justify this? Again, I would only be using the fireplace for ambiance and winter emergencies. The pellet stove heats the whole house for most of the winter.

My other concern is with resale value of the house. Not sure an old pellet stove insert matters too much to a prospective buyer but I am looking to move in the next five years.

I appreciate your opinions! I grew up with wood stoves but I've never run the fireplace without an insert.

Glass doors would actually inhibit heat from getting transferred into the room. Glass is opaque to IR wavelengths. You would be better off with a screen.

I have a wood stove in the family room and a traditional brick fireplace in the living room. Have been tempted to put an insert in the living room, but like an old school fire now and again, especially at the Holidays.

I'm considering removing a pellet insert from my fireplace. I barely used it. Most of my heat comes from the pellet stove in my finished basement.

I'd be removing the pellet stove, installing a new cap on the chimney, re-installing the damper and then adding glass doors.

Is this a crazy idea? We get frequent power outages and I'd like the option to light a fire in the winter. I'd also like the ambiance of a traditional fire. Do the glass doors combat the heat lost through the chimney enough to justify this? Again, I would only be using the fireplace for ambiance and winter emergencies. The pellet stove heats the whole house for most of the winter.

My other concern is with resale value of the house. Not sure an old pellet stove insert matters too much to a prospective buyer but I am looking to move in the next five years.

I appreciate your opinions! I grew up with wood stoves but I've never run the fireplace without an insert.

Seems like a lot of work for a place you’re gonna sell in 5 years.

If I were a buyer, I know that a fireplace is basically just there to be pretty and a worthless heater. Putting a damper back in is probably no easy cheap task. Would it cost the same as a wood stove and a liner? That I don’t know.

Or, leave the pellet stove, buy a generator for 600 dollars and have heat in both spots when the power goes out

Was the damper cut out? or was it just forced back in tied to the open position, I ask because pellet vent is usually 4" pipe and a damper wouldnt necessarily need to be cut out (I think of the installer trying to save some time)
Also I think with most glass surrounds, you would need to keep the doors open when firing the fireplace, also be advised while an open fire is nice, most fireplaces actually suck more hot air out of the house when in operation then put heat into the house, I think a rumford type of fireplace is one of the few that actually sends heat back in, 20% at that though.

also be advised while an open fire is nice, most fireplaces actually suck more hot air out of the house when in operation then put heat into the house,
Our open fireplace definitely heats the living room, albeit not efficiently.

If wanting to make it more aesthetic taking out the pellet stove and adding glass doors could. I took out my glass doors and painted all the firebrick and burned with these for several years. I left the door frame, repainted it, and filled the fireplace with rocks and seashells. I looked at the cost of new doors and was shocked by the price. If your damper seals well I vote for just a fire screen and a good chimney inspection.
Evan