Remove rear vermiculite from Ravelli RV80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

MetsFan

Mar 3, 2016
Connecticut
Hi all.

I'm having an air flow issues on my Ravelli RV80 that results in quick soot build up in the top two corners of the glass, as well as inside the fire box. Was instructed by the dealer that cleaning the chambers behind the rear vermiculite should resolve this. That of course means removing the rear vermiculate piece.

I removed the 8mm screw and the bracket that holds up the flame trap, and tried pulling from the top and out. It's stubborn! I can wiggle it by maybe 1/4 inch, but it's in there (A LOT of ash falling out from the bottom when I do that, so a good sign that's my issue). Because it sits on the frame on both sides of the burn pot, can't grab it from the bottom.

Does removal just require a lot of force from the top or is there a better and proper way to remove it? I don't want to break it.

Thanks!

I got the rear vermiculite out. Just took some force. Also removed the side pieces. There were no air channels behind the rear piece as I was told, only solid. They do exist on other Ravelli models though.

But, behind the side vermiculite pieces are vertical channels that go from top to bottom of the firebox and they were fairly packed with ash. Thoroughly cleaned them, put it all back together, fired it up, and so far better flame and no indication of soot build up! Hope this helps someone else.

Reactions: ARC