Remote controlled blower fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sean in the woods

Burning Hunk
Sep 2, 2020
UP, Michigan, USA
I was not happy with the blower fan on the auto setting and was too lazy to get up and turn it on and off myself. So, I set it to manual, set the speed where I like it and plugged it into a remote controlled outlet. Bingo.

Any remote outlet would work. I happened to have THIS ONE laying around.

Now, if only I can figure out how to make it load itself...

I added a snap disk to mine so it turns on when it gets warm enough and off when it cools down.

If your stove has the stock PE blower then it has a thermostatic snap disk pressing up against the stove body
I know. I wanted more control of when it turned on or off.

Those remote outlets are nice. Just dont lose the remote!

Or use a smart outlet configured to your home network and control with app on your phone

Reactions: Colinrides
I actually planned ahead when I finished the basement and put the outlet for the stove on a switch. I then added a timer plate instead of switch. 1 hour almost always is perfect.

but phone app would be very cool!

Reactions: ajayabb
So I got one of these. It works well and is mostly better than a switch with a physical remote.
Con:
If your phone or tablet is not with you you need to get it before you can turn the fan on or off.

Pro:
If you have your cell phone in your pocket most of the time, you always have the remote.
You can set a timer to turn off the outlet (blower) after X hours so you donlt have to worry about leaving it on all night.
You can control it from anywhere.
If you have an iPhone, you can make a widget so you have the on/off button for the outlet always a swipe away.
It has a 15 amp rating so it will handle anything I want to toss at it in the future.

We wired the plug for our fan to a simple switch. Easier than fiddling with the rheostat on the stove (for on/off - still would have to go to the rheostat to adjust speed). But a remote or smartphone controlled switch would be a cool upgrade.