Remodel- ZC vs Freestanding vs Nothing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MinM

Mar 6, 2018
Central MA
So we're in the planning stage to remodel our two story 2400 sq ft colonial, making the first floor an open concept (the house is currently pretty sectioned off- 1970s era stick built). We have a new Jotul C550 insert in the south wall fireplace and absolutely love it. The north wall (50 ft away)- we're thinking of installing either a large window, a ZC or a freestanding stove. Would a second wood burning appliance be overkill? We added insulation and replaced all the windows via a state energy conservation program, which helped make the house much less drafty. Early spring of 2020, when the overnight outdoor temps got into the low 40s, the fp side of the house was easily in the high 70s. We're in central MA, so it can definitely get cold in the winter. I appreciate your thoughts and thanks!

In a colonial the problem can be more an issue of heat distribution than complete heating. This is due to the layout of the divided rooms. Can you post a sketch of the old vs the new floorplan? It may be possible to assist circulation with a fan.
If you really enjoy burning and the look of a nice fire, but expect to hang out more on the north side of the house, then a small stove or FP there might be attractive. They don't need to both be burning at the same time unless the temps drop into the single digits.

Note that adding a large window on the north side is going to equal a major heat loss, even with an R=5 window. In that case a little extra heat there in the form of a stove wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Distributing the heat was definitely a problem- the north side of the house stayed relatively cool, but the Jotul side was in the upper 70s. Before installing the Jotul, we didn't use that side of the house much. After Jotul, we spent so much time there we considered moving the television into that room. I'm thinking opening up the first floor might neutralize the Jotul's ability to let us wander around in tee shirts and shorts all winter. I'll see what I can do for sketches- I don't have anything handy at the moment.