Regency vs Travis vs Mendota fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

raaizin

Jan 30, 2019
nj
looking to have a gas insert installed and have narrowed it to the above 3 companies . We like the Regency LR14E. Concerned about reliability and fan noise. Is the Regency any louder in operation compared to the other two. How does it stack up in terms of reliability. The mendota is FV33i and the Travis is Xtrodinair 32DVS. Regency seems quite a bit cheaper almost 1k. Herd to tell difference in fan noise as some showrooms noiser than others

Personally, I'm agin fans in gas fireplaces. They tend to be expensive, hard to remove to clean, and be noisy. I would favor having a box fan to break up stratified layers of warm and cold air myself.

If you want entertainment, ask the sales rep where you are shopping to show you how to remove the fan so it can be cleaned, which you need to do or it will become plugged with dust and dirt.

Personally, I'm agin fans in gas fireplaces. They tend to be expensive, hard to remove to clean, and be noisy. I would favor having a box fan to break up stratified layers of warm and cold air myself.

If you want entertainment, ask the sales rep where you are shopping to show you how to remove the fan so it can be cleaned, which you need to do or it will become plugged with dust and dirt.
Unlike gas fireplaces in which fans are typically an option, they come standard in virtually all inserts. In fact I cant think of an insert that I've serviced that did not have one. I have not had to replace a blower in an hri4 yet but all the other blowers I've replaced in Regency products are pretty standard and generally around $100 bucks and not too bad to get at. The key is to vacuum around the bottom and sides of the firebox where the cool air is drawn in. Carpeting and fur kill them. I think the Regency is a good product.

Unlike gas fireplaces in which fans are typically an option, they come standard in virtually all inserts. In fact I cant think of an insert that I've serviced that did not have one. I have not had to replace a blower in an hri4 yet but all the other blowers I've replaced in Regency products are pretty standard and generally around $100 bucks and not too bad to get at. The key is to vacuum around the bottom and sides of the firebox where the cool air is drawn in. Carpeting and fur kill them. I think the Regency is a good product.

Always glad to hear a second opinion from a competent repairman, and one practicing the trade currently, which I haven't been doing for twelve years now.

Still, don't you think it would be amusing to ask a sales rep on the floor who's selling you their gear as the greatest thing since sliced bread to show you how to take the fan out to clean it?

Millbilly, thanks for the response. On more question. I noticed this unit can only be turned down to 22,000 BTU. It will be used in a room 13X17 with an adjoining room without a wall of 19 X13. In effect the area is 32 X 13. Would this unit be too powerful. I see some units can be turned down to 10,000 BTU Is this a concern. This fireplace would be to take chill out of room as there is heat there already. Room on a slab house in NJ. I guess I could lower heat to reat of the house if needed correct. Sorry for some dumb question first time using a fireplace

Last edited:
You should be able to hook the unit up to a thermostat if low heat output is a concern

Millbilly, thanks for the response. On more question. I noticed this unit can only be turned down to 22,000 BTU. It will be used in a room 13X17 with an adjoining room without a wall of 19 X13. In effect the area is 32 X 13. Would this unit be too powerful. I see some units can be turned down to 10,000 BTU Is this a concern. This fireplace would be to take chill out of room as there is heat there already. Room on a slab house in NJ. I guess I could lower heat to reat of the house if needed correct. Sorry for some dumb question first time using a fireplace

That unit comes with a GreenSmart remote which has a t-stat function. You can just set it to a comfortable temp and it will shut off once it's reached.