Regency i2500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jvandermark

Nov 29, 2019
Ohio
I’m thinking about getting this insert for my house. It’s a bilevel house with about 600sq ft on the bottom level where the insert would be and 1,200sq ft upstairs. The insert would face towards the stairs and the room is open to them. My question is sometimes I use the space down there and was wondering how hot it would be down there if I’m using it to heat the house as well.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the heat will convect upstair easily. If so, the lower level shouldn't get too hot. You also have control over this by the amount of fuel you put in the stove and the air control setting.

I do have a fan at the top of the stairs that can run in reverse as well. Do you think it could warm the bedrooms on the opposite side of the house upstairs, they are above the garage?

That's a long shot. Bedrooms over a garage often need their own heat due to the location and excess heat loss.

Would it be better if the cold air return for HVAC is at the wall at the bottom of the steps? Then just use the HVAC fan to circulate the air. Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure things out.

It may be ineffective. Duct heat loss can often cool down the air too much if it is only starting out at 80º.