Regency i2450 worth the extra $$ over Century?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drew3308

Oct 8, 2019
Michigan
Hello,

I have been researching wood inserts for awhile and a couple years ago I bought a Century CW2900 from menards for under $1000.

I recently moved and am looking to install another insert and again am comparing Regency to the lower end stoves and wondering if the Regency's are worth the extra $1300-$1500? I never had any issues with the Century other than the outer paint layer was chipping.

If there are other stoves I should be looking at please let me know. Been looking as Osburn, Napoleon's etc.

The Century is made by SBI. It is the sibling of Osburn and Drolet stoves and a good insert. What size insert are you looking at? Are there restraints due to fireplace size?

The Century is made by SBI. It is the sibling of Osburn and Drolet stoves and a good insert. What size insert are you looking at? Are there restraints due to fireplace size?
Looking for a medium sized, I do not have any size restrictions. I can fit a large in there if I wanted.

I am biased, but I feel like I bought the best of the best. I am glad I didn't cheap out. Just that feeling sometimes is worth it.

You wouldn't go wrong with another Century or Drolet if the goal is to keep costs reasonable. The main reason I would look at some other inserts is N/S loading and ease of cleaning is a nice benefit too. Which Regency are you looking at? The Lopi Revere is a stout stove with a square firebox. Their value version is the 1750. The PE Super insert is very good. If you have an Enviro dealer nearby, the Kodiak 1700 is a excellent too.

You wouldn't go wrong with another Century or Drolet if the goal is to keep costs reasonable. The main reason I would look at some other inserts is N/S loading and ease of cleaning is a nice benefit too. Which Regency are you looking at? The Lopi Revere is a stout stove with a square firebox. Their value version is the 1750. The PE Super insert is very good. If you have an Enviro dealer nearby, the Kodiak 1700 is a excellent too.
Looking at the Regency i2450, which has almost identical specs to the Century CW2900. I also just found the Osburn Matrix, I like the looks of the flush mount but those seem to be a little more $$.

I'm not certain. Can't tell because the manual download for this new model is dealer only. The i2400 insert had a shallower firebox, so you could be correct.

If you don't have to have a flush insert I would not get one. There are advantages to having the insert stick out on the hearth a bit. The Osburn 2000 is worth considering, but again it has a shallower firebox like the Regency and Century.

I'm not certain. Can't tell because the manual download for this new model is dealer only. The i2400 insert had a shallower firebox, so you could be correct.

If you don't have to have a flush insert I would not get one. There are advantages to having the insert stick out on the hearth a bit. The Osburn 2000 is worth considering, but again it has a shallower firebox like the Regency and Century.
There currently is no insert in place. I do understand the benefits of it sticking out, more heat being the most beneficial. I am not trying to heat the whole house with it, I have a two story so it would be difficult to get heat to bedrooms up stairs. I just really enjoy burning fires in the winter and actually getting some useful heat out of it.

A couple of disadvantages of flush inserts are that the blower must be used to get heat. This is not good in a power outage. Another advantage is that they have an ashlip which keeps the blower from sucking up ash.

A couple of disadvantages of flush inserts are that the blower must be used to get heat. This is not good in a power outage. Another advantage is that they have an ashlip which keeps the blower from sucking up ash.
I think I have settled on the Osburn 2400 due to the fact there is a $200 rebate on it and I found a place that will give 10% off if you pay cash. I will have to get some final measurements to make sure it will fit and if it won't I will have to settle for the 2000.

Reactions: begreen
Good deal. That's a big serious heater. If the fit is almost close, there may be some solutions to make it work.