Regency Humming Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
Hello all:

Have had Regency 2400 insert for about one month now and love everything about it.

Works great especially with dry wood on red hot coals I get a nice secondary burn going.
This is with the damper all the way open.
After 10-15 minutes I close it 1/2 way then a few minutes later close it all the way.

Often when I close it down it makes a constant humming sound, sometimes at the 1/2 mark but almost always as I turn down the air supply all the way down.

This is in a central fireplace with a long liner that I think goes all the way up if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions appreciated . Thanks.

Tom

Sounds like you have connected with the universal chord. Aummmm. :)

Question, does the unit have a blower and is this with it on or off?

Be Green

Yes I am sitting in a yogi position in front of the embers contemplating "total consciousness" (Bill Murray Caddyshack)

Yes there is a blower usually on 'low " setting

I think not sure the noise is ongoing with or without blower though

Tom

Perhaps it's humming because it doesn't know the words. Is the blower assembly on good and tight? It is simply a friction fit so you might try hitting it lightly, or perhaps the surround is loose.

I have the Hampton which is the same insert. mine does this too when I shut the air down too soon. Leave the air open to let the stove get a little hotter, then shut it down.

mainemac said:
Hello all:

Have had Regency 2400 insert for about one month now and love everything about it.

Works great especially with dry wood on red hot coals I get a nice secondary burn going.
This is with the damper all the way open.
After 10-15 minutes I close it 1/2 way then a few minutes later close it all the way.

Often when I close it down it makes a constant humming sound, sometimes at the 1/2 mark but almost always as I turn down the air supply all the way down.

This is in a central fireplace with a long liner that I think goes all the way up if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions appreciated . Thanks.

Tom
This should probably help both you and High Iron. I was to pitch a guess I'd say that you probably have an exceptionally good draft going there. I have a friend who had this with the Regency I2400 and this is what he found. Often that little hum or maybe a light whistle is the draft going through the minimum burn opening on the unit. There are a couple of things to help this if it is a problem but it is a fine line you walk with it. The minimum burn opening is there to make sure you have a good secondary burn on these non-cat stoves whenever you close the damper completely. It prevents the fire being starved completely and shutting down with a firebox load of fuel. You can go to the minimum opening, almost directly opposite the draft rod and partially cover it with some aluminum tape. This slows down the minimum draw for you. I'd give it a try. It worked for my buddy.

I have the hampton. Could be what was said earlier OR check where the control rod hits the blower housing just on the outside of the insert, bend it up just slightly. I would be willing to bet that the humming goes away...I know real scientific!!! If not, like the others have said, opend the rod a half inch.

burntime said:
I have the hampton. Could be what was said earlier OR check where the control rod hits the blower housing just on the outside of the insert, bend it up just slightly. I would be willing to bet that the humming goes away...I know real scientific!!! If not, like the others have said, opend the rod a half inch.

There is a little differecne between the Hampton and the Regency though. The Regency is a steel stove and the Hampton is cast. Steel parts are welded together versus the fastening of the castings with hardware.

Good point tho.

woodstoveguy said:
burntime said:

There is a little differecne between the Hampton and the Regency though. The Regency is a steel stove and the Hampton is cast. Steel parts are welded together versus the fastening of the castings with hardware.

Good point tho.

I think you are wrong. The Hampton is steel too. It is the same firebox as the 2400, just a prettier face. ;-)

Thanks so much to all:

Will try these great suggestions

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.