Regency Hampton H300 - should I get the blower option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
I have the opportunity to get a charcoal gray Hampton for $1,750 and a brown ceramic one for $2,100. Neither of them have a blower on them. The blower option is $383 for each. I tried doing a Google search to see what exactly the blower does, whether it is worth the $383, and whether I can install it at a later date, but in 5 minutes I got nothing. So, figured I would come back to this wonderful forum and the wealth of knowledge available here for my answers. One stove will be in the lower level of a stand alone two level garage with 1,500 sf in the lower level, 750 of which is finished, and about 900 sf of finished space above the main level. The other stove will be going on the main level of the house, which is 2,200 sf of finished space. I'll deal with the 2,200 sf in the basement another year.

1) What does the blower unit on this stove do
2) Is it worth $383
3) Can I install it myself at a later date

Blowers help the hot air coming from the stove convect more rapidly. This aids more rapid and complete distribution of the heat in the heated area.

Note that in most jurisdictions, a stove is not permitted in a garage. Check with the inspecting authority and insurance company first.

Blowers help the hot air coming from the stove convect more rapidly. This aids more rapid and complete distribution of the heat in the heated area.

Note that in most jurisdictions, a stove is not permitted in a garage. Check with the inspecting authority and insurance company first.

Chimney is already in the stand alone "garage". The garage is actually the equivalent of another house on the property. It has an in-law suite. Ultimately, I will be using the garage as my office. The lower level of the garage is half garage and half office (i.e., half of it is finished space). The stove will be going into the 750 sf finished room on the lower level of the garage. Going to keep the door to the upstairs level open so that heat will hopefully flow up the stairwell and keep the upper level decently warm. Since the garage was permitted and the chimney is already in place, I am going to assume that I can install the woodstove. However, I am not going to assume that the clearance to combustibles is adequate for the enclosed chimney. I am going to open up the walls and take a look at it. Better to redo drywall and paint, and redo the chimney if necessary, versus having the garage/apartment burn down.

I read through the owner's manual and it appears that I can install the blower at a later date. Seems pretty straight forward too. Question now is whether it is worth $383 from the seller of these stoves or if I can get it for less elsewhere. These stoves are on clearance and are marked down 30% for one and 35% for the other. Hoping they are still both available on the 15th when we close on the new house. If so, I will drive from closing to this hardware store, buy both, and have them load both in my truck.

Is there a stainless steel liner in the flue? The flue area must match the stove requirement, in this case 6" round or ~28sq in.

You could try positioning a basic 12" stand fan so that it blows across the top of the stove and run it on low speed.

Is there a stainless steel liner in the flue? The flue area must match the stove requirement, in this case 6" round or ~28sq in.

You could try positioning a basic 12" stand fan so that it blows across the top of the stove and run it on low speed.

There is no masonry chimney anywhere yet. The chimney in the garage is 6" double walled insulated stainless steel from what I can see, but I will not know for sure until I open up the wall and look at it. Have to add a masonry chimney to the main house before putting a stainless steel liner down the flue. I've installed 3 wood stoves and a wood burning furnace in my years and everything is still standing. Knock on wood.

I've done a bunch of Google searches looking for a cheaper price on the blower unit, but have not been able to get a single hit for the blower option. Plenty of hits for blower replacement motors, but nothing for the entire unit. So, $383 it is going to be.

Have to add a masonry chimney to the main house before putting a stainless steel liner down the flue.
Why add a masonry chimney instead of just putting in a metal chimney? Is this for aesthetic reasons?

Why add a masonry chimney instead of just putting in a metal chimney? Is this for aesthetic reasons?

Yep, aesthetic reasons. Out back there is a large stamp-crete patio with a grill and a pool. The house would look like crap from the back with two stainless steel chimneys running up it side by side. The garage has the chimney running up the back wall but it is inside the garage and covered by a box of drywall with a penetration through the roof very close to the back wall. That install was by design and clean on the garage, which was built after the house so the husband's mother could live on the property. In the main house, the fireplace in the family room is a gas fireplace and then there is a hookup for a gas fireplace in the basement. Going to change both of those to wood stoves and run the flues up a stone chimney to match the front of the house. Hopefully, I can recoup most of my investment over the 20+ years we plan on being in this place.