Regency denied my CAT warranty replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

farmwithjunk

Burning Hunk
Sep 19, 2022
PA
My F5200 was purchased in 2022 and I figure has about 8,000 hours or so on the cat. I noticed end of last season that the CAT was having trouble staying in the active zone and this year is just about dead, failing to stay lit and the fire will smolder away with the air inlet closed down, even if CAT was at 800F on the burn cycle.

I suspect the CAT wore out quicker the first year because the factory door seal had some spots it leaked, which I replaced. No wonder the stove tried to run away on me but many said new CAT stoves are just like that. After replacement I was able to keep temps in check with air shut down as low as it goes.

I called my dealer, sent them the pics and Regency's tech said the CAT looks good and they refuse to replace it. Not sure how a tech can see pics and say a CAT is good. It has a few cracks but no real damage as I was always careful not to shock or abuse it when possible.

Regency said if it was bad it would look like a scoop was removed from it, or IMO severe flame impingement damage.

Sounds like many on here have pulled theirs at 10-15,000 hours and they aren't damaged in that nature....just plain worn out.

Last edited:
My F5200 was purchased in 2022 and I figure has about 8,000 hours or so on the cat. I noticed end of last season that the CAT was having trouble staying in the active zone and this year is just about dead, failing to stay lit and the fire will smolder away with the air inlet closed down, even if CAT was at 800F on the burn cycle.

I suspect the CAT wore out quicker the first year because the factory door seal had some spots it leaked, which I replaced. No wonder the stove tried to run away on me but many said new CAT stoves are just like that. After replacement I was able to keep temps in check with air shut down as low as it goes.

I called my dealer, sent them the pics and Regency's tech said the CAT looks good and they refuse to replace it. Not sure how a tech can see pics and say a CAT is good. It has a few cracks but no real damage as I was always careful not to shock or abuse it when possible.
So how long did you expect it to last? I replace every 2-3 years. And no, a visual inspection will tell you nothing about the condition of the catalyst other than physical condition. They can wear out and still look new.

Reactions: begreen

Regency said if it was bad it would look like a scoop was removed from it, or IMO severe flame impingement damage.

Sounds like many on here have pulled theirs at 10-15,000 hours and they aren't damaged in that nature....just plain worn out.
Pretty sure your dealer is full of sht. Never had an issue getting CAT replacement.

Reactions: farmwithjunk
So how long did you expect it to last? I replace every 2-3 years. And no, a visual inspection will tell you nothing about the condition of the catalyst other than physical condition. They can wear out and still look new.
More than 2 seasons.

Regardless, that's not the point here. The point is Regency is denying my CAT from pictures and claiming its an airflow problem.

If you have a 10 year warranty you need to stand by it. Not deny based of pics and say it should look destroyed if its bad. You confirm what I expected though that a picture can't indicate it isn't failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam