Regency - Cold Air Downdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stunt Double

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2008
Virginia
I have a Regency Woodstove and get a nasty cold air downdraft when there's no fire in it. Does anyone know of a solution?

Generally, this isn't because of the stove you are operating but because of a cold flue.

Some folks have had good luck getting the draft going in the right direction simply by blowing hot air from a hair dryer or heat gun up above the baffle. Others recommend lighting a lone 1/4 of a supercedar in the stove (no wood) or setting a lit propane torch in there for a few minutes.

What's your chimney setup like? Masonry chimney, SS liner, Class A, interior/exterior, length, diameter, does it meet the 10-3-2 rule, etc? Also, is this a new problem or a continuing problem? Does it only happen w/ a cold stove or is it happening inbetween loads on a warm stove? How's the stove operating once you get the draft going in the right direction?

pen

If I'm starting my stove cold I just put some newspaper as far back in the firebox as possible and light it in multiple spots. This usually creates enough heat to reverse the draft.

I can control the draft when I go to light a fire; I just open a nearby door for a few minutes. The problem is that when I don't want a fire, I get the cold downdraft. Sometimes I don't light it for days and it's just killing my heat bill.

I called the dealer that I bought it from and he said just keep it burning then. I thought that was somewhat cynical. There has to be an correct answer.

If opening a door helps you, I'd be installing an Outside Air Kit (OAK)

pen

It very well might since you seem to have a pressure thing going on in your house since it sounds like opening a door helps get the draft going in the right direction. At the very least, even if the downdraft were to still exist the air would then go through the stove and back outside through the OAK instead of coming into your living space as you are experiencing now.

Another option depending on your chimney and cap may be a chimney cap damper. But I'm not sure since I'm not familiar w/ your chimney setup.

pen

That's great advice; two things that I hadn't considered. I didn't even know they made a chmney cap damper. Thanks Pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.