Regency CI2600 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark27

Jan 12, 2018
Oakland
hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum, and wood burning inserts. We had a regency 2600 installed recently and I’m having trouble maintaining enough air flow/oxygen. When I close the door fire dies down significantly and/or goes out, even when I leave the bypass open. Wood is cured and the installation was performed by a reputable company (and included new venting), so I think there shld be adequate draft in the chimney.

Appreciate any pointers - my wife is getting ornery about it.

I got my CI2600 last winter. My wood was 2 years old at the time and was ok, but I noticed now that it is 3 years old it works much better (easier to start, etc).

I recommend you try keeping the door ajar (closed but not latched) until the fire is vigourous. Then latch the door slightly but not all the way (don't lock the handle). Let the fire adjust and the laych it a little more at a time until it is fully latched. Wait until the temperature is closer to 550 or 600F before closing the bypass. Do all of this with the air intake fully open (to the left). Hot reloads are easier as the wood will lite quickly if dry and. Put on a bed of hot coals.

Check out the CI2600 operation thread for other tips.

I got my CI2600 last winter. My wood was 2 years old at the time and was ok, but I noticed now that it is 3 years old it works much better (easier to start, etc).

I recommend you try keeping the door ajar (closed but not latched) until the fire is vigorous. Then latch the door slightly but not all the way (don't lock the handle). Let the fire adjust and the latch it a little more at a time until it is fully latched. Wait until the temperature is closer to 550 or 600F before closing the bypass. Do all of this with the air intake fully open (to the left). Hot reloads are easier as the wood will lite quickly if dry and. Put on a bed of hot coals.

Check out the CI2600 operation thread for other tips.
Thanks for this helpful advice. It seems to help. Do you suppose this is a design flaw? The regency guidance is clear about not burning a fire unless the door is closed but it doesn’t seem to work that way. I’ll definitely review the larger 2600 thread. Thanks again!

Describe how you are starting the fire in detail. There may be something we can suggest that could speed up starts.

Do you know what species wood you are burning and when it was cut, split and stacked? Many new burners believe the wood they are burning is fully seasoned, but often it is not, especially if purchased. Oak, hickory and some other hardwoods need at least 2 years to season. That can be hard to find. With good dry kindling and fully seasoned wood the fire should be start and keep burning with the door closed, bypass and air control fully open. That said, it's not unusual to have the door ajar for a few minutes in order to help the fire start.

Thanks for this helpful advice. It seems to help. Do you suppose this is a design flaw? The regency guidance is clear about not burning a fire unless the door is closed but it doesn’t seem to work that way. I’ll definitely review the larger 2600 thread. Thanks again!
Have you tested the moisture content of your wood? If not how long has it been cut split stacked and top covered? How tall is your flue? What size liner and was it insulated? And what are the outside temperatures?

I imagine once it is up and running with cat engagesmd it runs fine?

The amount of draft your chimney draws can factor in to the cold starts. Also a friend of mine who purchased the same insert a year earlier finds it behaves differently. His stove was made before regency implemented some of their design changes and it looks like his insert gets a lot more air than mine at any given setting. I can pretty much kill any flame by fully closing the air while he cannot. So I believe some of the changes regency made to help this insert achieve the long burn times advertised come at the cost of reduced air input causing some to get results like you see (another side effect is increased black glass).