Regency CI2600 excess coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RubiSahara

Dec 30, 2018
Virginia, United States
First things first, I'm a newbie and yes I read the FAQs regarding the issue. I'm pretty sure my issue is air control.

Some details: The stove is brand new and yesterday was my first fire. I already know there is likely an issue with the auto fan not kicking on. The installer thinks this is a factory issue because he's had a number (2-3?) of issues with it recently on new installs. It'll be fixed after the new year. In starting the fire yesterday, I used fat wood kindle and seasoned white oak (<15%). I had some trouble keeping the fire over 300 degrees for a while but i think it was because I was keeping the catalyst and air damper completely open. I then started closing things more and saw it stay over 500 and got as high as the mid 900s. Throughout the day/evening I would add a piece here and there with the catalyst closed and the damper about halfway. I started noticing the coal build up which got to the point where refueling became limited. How can I control this better?

I'm using this as a supplement to our oil/baseboard heat. We're a one level brick ranch and the fireplace sits in a large living room.

Thanks for dealing my my long story.

Close the bypass all the way. Use the air control to regulate temperature.