Regency Alterra CS1200 conversion to CS1250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

uncrate

Sep 11, 2020
Hello everyone,

A friend of mine has a newer Regency Alterra CS 1200 free standing fireplace. He is will to give it to me for a few hundred but I'm wondering if I could convert it to the CI1250 (insert)? That both look identical and I figured I could buy the blower and surround. Thoughts on whether this is possible or not?

Last edited:
You could ask Regency, but I strongly doubt it. As a freestanding stove the CS1200 has an ashpan below the firebox. If the fireplace is tall it might be possible to cut down the legs, but that could weaken support making it much less stable. The CS1200 is a different design from the CS1250 which has no ashpan and a different blower location and placement, convection jacket, etc. My guess is that Regency would say absolutely not.

Thanks begreen! I meant to write CI1250 but I'm assuming it the same. I reached out to Regency as well to get there input as well.

Last edited:
Inserts also have a full convective jacket around them to help get heat out of the fireplace. A freestander will not

Thanks...looks like I'll be looking for new CI1250, or EPI3C or Matrix. Time to start researching those unless you guys have other suggestions for a modern design fireplace insert.

Last edited: