Reflection on stove purchases

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Last year at this time I was doing 3 to 5 stove inspections a day. A lot of early xmas presents, especially Pelet stoves.
From Sept till now, I think I have had 15 total stove inspections About 5 being pellets 3/5 free standing wood stoves and 5/7 wod inserts.
I think the warmer than normal weather, everbody rushing out after the Katrina disasterlast year, unpredicable lower oil and fuel cost, all added up to a down year
in sales. I was talking to one of the larger dealers in my area (he owns 3 stores) and tells me floor trafic dissappeared just after thanksgiving.. His warehouse is fully stocked
He has sold a few gas stoves and gas log sets , All in all a dissapointing year so far in sales.. Worse this guy still is holding quite a bit of pellet stock. Last year he ran out for his regular customers a couple of times

And people wonder why investors don't dump lots of money into building new pellet plants?

I had a similar conversation with a local dealer. Their business is down, but they expected it to be. By their way of thinking, last year's banner sales covered so much of the potential market that this year had to be a down year. Simply put, just about anyone that was the sort to switch to wood or pellets... Already did!

Add in the warm weather...

Do you think if the dealers have too much stock come February there will be some good dealer and manufacturer incentives for consumers?

How would you like to be the gas companies? Warmer weather, less fuel usage. Its good for the indians, but not the chiefs. The big boys aren't getting the money.

ahh, they'll just put in for rate or tariff increases next year and make up the difference. Probably get approved to keep shareholders happy.

elkimmeg said:
Last year at this time I was doing 3 to 5 stove inspections a day. A lot of early xmas presents, especially Pelet stoves.
From Sept till now, I think I have had 15 total stove inspections About 5 being pellets 3/5 free standing wood stoves and 5/7 wod inserts.

Actually, I'm not overly surprised by that (but I'm obviously not in the industry, so I have no ideas as to what the expectations were). Elk, In a "Normal year" do you still do that many per day in the middle of December? Now admittedly, I can be a procrastinator, but do a lot of people usually wait until this time of year to buy/install a stove? I would have (mistakenly) assumed that this would almost always be a slower time of year for the dealers/installers and inspectors. When I got my replacement stove this spring, I shopped around at 3 local dealers, and none of them really had a lot of inventory at that time. I just assumed most people who were going to buy/replace a stove would have been geared up to to it in late Summer to the middle of Fall.

I'm thinking last year was probably out of the norm due to Katrina and the sharp increase in fuel costs (which may have driven a lot of "late" season" buyers).

So, how was the year overall? would the dealers consider '06 a good, bad, or average year?

tutu_sue said:
Do you think if the dealers have too much stock come February there will be some good dealer and manufacturer incentives for consumers?

I think the classifieds and craigslist are where the bargains are going to be. One season to find out there is work, bark, dust and smoke involved and there are going to be some lightly used stove on the market.

Thats funny. Alot of people don't realize the work involved with wood. I myself chose to cut and split my own, which all is free and thats why I do it. Maybe I would feel like a slave to the woodfurnace, but its something I enjoy. Now get someone not willing to put forth the effort and poof its too much to handle. If somoeone has to buy the wood, that also can get costly if not found in the right places. I guess its alot to think about when choosing to heat with wood from the ash to the chimney.

tutu_sue said:

Yes and no for hardware stores that have limited storage they may discount the stoves a bit to make room for spring inventory

For full time stove dealers, like the one I was speaking to, will adjust what they buy come order time in March April. they will buy less

Many stoves do not change in appearance so selling it in Sept. bought last year is not an issue as with cars. Box stores like, Home Crapo. always
reduce prices for left over winter inventory. Here one might get a good deal on an Englander of Centry stove instead of $800 for the size BB has One might pick it up for 525 to $600
the smaller $650 model can be had of $400 Ps check in Feb then again early march In march sometimes they will reduce it further to 40% I do not know what happens if they have to store them after they are removed from the shelves Other stores Like ACE, Service Star. or Aubuchon may run similar clearance sales on similar stoves maybe the tractor supplies Lowes?

BrotherBart said:
And people wonder why investors don't dump lots of money into building new pellet plants?

Unfortunately the stove manufactures and Pellets suppliers are not on the same page. The stove manufactures had the golden egg last year. The pellet manufactures
stepped on it .Then heating prices dropped. There is a possibility both could end up holding onto the remains of the cracked egg shells. I think the industry was banking
on one more hurricane to create an impact so they could cash in.

Dylan said:
BrotherBart said:
One season to find out there is work, bark, dust and smoke involved and there are going to be some lightly used stove on the market.

OTOH, if the winter remains mild, there'll be a lot of first-year woodburners raving about how easy the whole bidness is and congratulating themselves on how many sheckels they saved.

Good point.

BrotherBart said:
tutu_sue said:

I think the classifieds and craigslist are where the bargains are going to be. One season to find out there is work, bark, dust and smoke involved and there are going to be some lightly used stove on the market.

May I expand on BB theory Say Katrina effect brought many more buyers to the wood stove market. Many had a stash of wood sitting there rotting when they got the idea to turn that wood into heat. Well that was easy already seasoned and stacked. Now what either a huge amount of work or be at mercy of the locat wood man hopefully not Kevins or Mo's
Man 4$400or more for less than seasoned wood that runs like crap in the wood stove. Getting the picture here? Things are not working as smooth as last year man this wood burning isa choir
and the misses is always nagging me about the dirt wood chips bark and ash. Can get the stove to run or draft right either had to pay 150 to get the chimney cleanned

I agree with what BB said If we have another year with reasonable heating fuel cost Ebay and craig's list will have a lot of used stove bargins.

TOH, if the winter remains mild, there’ll be a lot of first-year woodburners raving about how easy the whole bidness is and congratulating themselves on how many sheckels they saved.

There is merit and agreement as to what Dylan is saying
But I'm talking about the owners that bought last year used up their existing supplies and the wood routine is growing old and expensive

elkimmeg said:
There is merit and agreement as to what Dylan is saying
But I'm talking about the owners that bought last year used up their existing supplies and the wood routine is growing old and expensive

I know how they feel after cutting and splitting the wood last spring, installing two liners, rehabing the old stove, pulling out the F100, rebuilding and installing the F3, pulling out the old main stove, putting in the new main stove and pulling out the new stove and installing the replacement. All singlehandedly by my scrawny 166 pound self. As I was finishing up the last install and my two hundredth, at least, trip up on that two story roof this year my wife walked in.

All I could say was "I want a new heat pump!". Her reponse: "When ya gonna fire that sucker up?".

(I figured the dealers could all use a good laugh at the DIY's expense)

I believe there's more to the whole wood burning lifestyle beyond saving money. As it stands, I'm sure there are folks who have a wood stove not to save money, but for the atmosphere created in the living room. Something primal about having fire in the house that is appealing. Also, doesn't having a working woodstove increase the value of the home? I see the whole package as an investment, savings will only be secured in the long run, and with lots of your own work.

I agree with BB. I'm feeling now the way he describes above. Tired, and ready to have the damn thing in, and done. I don't expect to see any savings this year from my wood burning, but nonetheless will still have the enjoyment of sitting in front of it, watching the fire, drinking hot cocoa and reading a good book.

-Kevin

Hey, what's wrong with my wood man Elk? Just kidding. ;)

My dealer charges absolute top dollar for stoves as the only guy in town, so we funded his slow times. He's not hurting for money judging by the car he drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.