Refacing and Code Requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wittert

Nov 7, 2017
California
Hello,

I'm a newbie DIYer that has decided to reface our woodburning fireplace prior to the installation of a Valor gas insert. I've been doing a lot of reading to educate myself on the code requirements and it is my understanding that even though the fireplace will be converted to a gas insert, the wood burning requirements related to the hearth extension still apply (i.e. for a <6 foot fireplace the extension must project at least 16" from the opening and 8" on each side of the opening). My questions are:

1) Where do the 16" measure from? It taken from the outside? Or, if the facing material projects a little (in my case 4 inches) is the measurement from the beginning of the facing. In my situation, the fireplace does not currently meet code. It is either 8" or 12" depending on where the proper measurement is taken. See photo.

2) We decided to get a permit and will be having an inspector for the gas line installation for the new gas insert. The refacing of the fireplace is not part of the permit scope (I did ask and confirm this when obtaining the permit). I'm based in California. What is the likelihood that the inspector will require the hearth extension to be extended to the full 16"? Depending on the answer to question 1, that could involve building out an additional 4" to 8" of additional hearth extension.

These are my most critical questions at this stage of planning the dimensions on the fireplace. I've attached a photo of the bare/original fireplace as well and an image of the proposed refacing. I will be using durock cement board, securing it to the existing structure before adding porcelain tile. The hearth extension is about 4" high and the additional 4" to 8" of projection will be above the hardwood and supported by bricks and/or concrete pavers.

I look forward to feedback and your advice.

I seriously doubt anyone will have a problem with your hearth extension since you are doing a gas insert. I’ve never heard of anyone being that picky.

I seriously doubt anyone will have a problem with your hearth extension since you are doing a gas insert. I’ve never heard of anyone being that picky.

Thanks. That's what I'd like to think but I've heard that some inspectors can be tough. I'd love to hear from others and any specific stories of having an inspector approve the gas insert and not cite any non-compliant hearth extensions.

Thanks. That's what I'd like to think but I've heard that some inspectors can be tough. I'd love to hear from others and any specific stories of having an inspector approve the gas insert and not cite any non-compliant hearth extensions.
Chances are they won't catch it. But why not just do it right?

There are inspectors, and then there are inspectors. I have a good friend that owns a HVAC company, so his week revolves around pulling permits and waiting on inspectors, some of whom never even bother to show up or call. He had one guy, pull up into the driveway, take a 30 second walk around the basement, and approved the system. Another guy went over the system section by section, and didn't approve a portion of the ventilation system that my friend hadn't even installed, it was an exhaust system. My friend tried to explain that was a totally different company, but the inspector wouldn't hear it, had to set up another appointment.

I agree with bholler. If you're also refacing the hearth extension, I assume you are, it might actually look nice to have a step-down hearth that surrounds the elevated part and goes up the wall where the exposed brick is.

But to answer your question specifically, the 16" is measured from the actual opening, so for you it's currently 12".