Reducing clearance on Jotul 602 rear-vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Guy with a Question

Sep 9, 2019
MA
Hello,

I'm new to the site, but not wood stoves (at previous houses). We're about to have a 602 installed. I see in the manual (Fig. 10) that with rear-vent it needs 19" of rear clearance to combustibles... but it also says wall protectors can reduce clearances, and gives lots of numbers for various top-vent configurations with & w/o wall shield (...and the bolt onto the stove rear shield, for use in top-vent only). I'm wondering, can that 19" rear clearance be reduced with a wall shield? I would rather do a rear-vent, but if it must sit so far from the wall I may top-vent with a short rise before angling back to the chimney behind it.

For context, it's a 16'x14' room, small tight house, and it's not our primary heat source, not that it matters for this specific question.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dan

This may depend on what is behind the stove and whether it is combustible. If the stove is rear vented, is the intent to go straight into a masonry chimney and not through a wall? Can you post a picture of the location where the stove is going to be installed?

The masonry chimney is built inside the wall. We've opened the wall completely, are going to put a new hole in the chimney, install an insulated thimble (Duratech), and then close back up the wall, but that section will be closed with cement board, not sheet rock (but the studs are wood, not metal). Can't post a pic just now, but you get the idea, perhaps.

A wood studded wall has specific requirements for a thimble pass through. It must be 12" from any combustible. If you stud the wall in that area with metal studs, covered with cement board, then there is a possibility of creating a non-combustible rear wall behind the stove. If the wall is entirely non-combustible, then the clearances are not an issue. However, do think twice about doing the rear venting. It makes for a clean installation, but it will place the thimble low and will lock you into that for a future stove height, if you desire to change the stove.

Let's talk a bit about the chimney. Is the chimney tile-lined? What is the ID of the flue in the chimney? How tall is the chimney?