reducer, increaser - crimp or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bunnyw

Dec 6, 2021
north central Indiana
need to increase from 5 to 6". Is a reducer/increaser the same thing (just flip it over?) or does one end of it (which end?) need to be crimped? I see some specifically called reducer or increaser, then I see some "increaser/reducer' meaning you can just flip it over! Then some have a crimped end - and others don't. Is a crimp required? up end or down end? what is the purpose?

The crimped end should alway point toward the stove. This goes for the rest of the stove pipe too. However, if the increaser is going to attach to the stove, check fit first before crimping. It may not need crimping in order to achieve a snug fit.

They are different. At my local hardware store in the single wall stove pipe section I can buy a 6-8 adapter that has the male end 6" crimped and the female 8" open or the female 6" end open and the 8" male crimped. Depends on the application, some people want to run a 6" device on an 8" chimney and some want to (whether a good idea or not) run an 8" stove on a 6" chimney.

We always order them uncrimped. That way we can make them what ever we need