reduced clearancres

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magoo0512

Jul 18, 2016
Western ny
have a question about a shield for a f3cb wood stove that I mounted out in front of a zero clearance fireplace. I have two thin strips of drywall outside of the fireplace approximately 2 And half inches wide. the inside of that drywall is 12 and a half inches to the rear corner of my stove top. my understanding from the manual although vague seems as it would need 14 inches clearance. I could mount a full plate across with the one inch space and one inch opening at the bottom to allow air flow to reduce my clearances to 6 inches I believe with the double wall pipe. I was also wondering if it would be doable to fabricate heat shield mounted to the back of the stove that wraps around the rear corners. studs are there already for the existing rear heat shield would just put this one over the top of it. I believe Vermont Castings did this on the defiant back in the day. does anyone see any issues with this or maybe have a better idea thanks for any info and advance.

Attachments

• reduced clearancres
    20161112_193448.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 162
  • reduced clearancres
    20161112_193508.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 138
  • reduced clearancres
    20161112_193520.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 148
Behind the stove for about 8" on each side appears to be all non-combustible. If so, I'd be inclined to leave it alone, especially if the stove already had the factory rear heatshield on it.

Yes from the rear corner out is 10 and 1/2 inches on both sides of non-combustible but if I measure at a 45 degree angle off the rear corner of stove top to the drywall on the inside edge is 12 and a half inches. Should I not be concerned that this doesn't equal the 14 inches of clearance needed. Thanks.

I wouldn't be to worried about it, monitor it when you start running the stove 24/7, I would try to create a shield to cover up the existing fire place hole,

It's close, but I understand your concern. The small firebox on the F3CB doesn't stay hot for very long unless one constantly feeds it. Our F3CB in a corner installation did not get the rear walls too hot, especially when compared with the larger F400. I would try it out. An IR thermometer would help you monitor temps on those strips of drywall. If the temp exceeds 160F then I would improve shielding.

The shield for the existing fireplace hole is a definite it's just whether I was going to make a shield just for the opening or a one piece shield spaced off the wall covering everything including the drywall. Don't know that I love the look of that idea hence the questions thanks for your help!

The shield for the existing fireplace hole is a definite it's just whether I was going to make a shield just for the opening or a one piece shield spaced off the wall covering everything including the drywall. Don't know that I love the look of that idea hence the questions thanks for your help!
Be aware that when you cover the existing fireplace you cannot interfere with the airflow in or out of the vents on that fireplace at all. They need to stay fully functional.

Reactions: Squisher
Intended to leave functional regardless of whatever cover plate I make. Thanks for the info. Will use blower from fireplace as it will blow over the top of the stove move the heat out I think as well. That was the plan at least when I built the hearth. Will see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.