Recycled pallet shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
I've started burning a little these past few mornings, and I have enjoyed not having to fight with tarps--and finding relatively dry wood in my 'recycled pallet shed' I knocked this together this spring .

Made out of random pallets and some salvaged PT lumber from a deck demo. Shingles were from dumpster diving on a build--someone used our dumpster onsite and I dug 'em out. I think I was into it for about a $100 or so for hardware, nails, the 2x rafters and a couple of extra PT boards.

Pallets were nailed to PT sleepers, then flipped over, I face nailed the front supports from sleeper and front of pallets. Deck screwed the sides and back pallets together, and screwed those on to the base, then added back corner posts nailed to pallets. Roof structure you can see, and then I added some extra horizontal bracing on the inside where the pallets have the cutouts on the bottom boards. A late addition was the center brace between front and back to stiffen the structure a little more, and it also works well for isolating each pile of wood.

It is not art, but was stable enough that I got up on top to shingle.

My worst mistake is that the set of pallets I started with were a bit random--if I did it again I would try to find a set of good quality pallets that matched...
shed1.jpg
shed2.jpg
shed3.jpg

Very nice...good job!!!

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: paredown
Cheap and functional is an art of its own...

Reactions: paredown
Thanks all--the only bad thing about this--my original plan was to pick up some more gravel, level across to the left, and build a nice lean-to shed to finally have a place to put the garden/outside tools away, and get rid of one of the Harbor Freight tents.

Then my friend who was going to manage her own kitchen reno got a new job right away and I got drafted--and most of the summer disappeared while we did a gut reno (with some pretty tricky structural stuff) on her kitchen. Made a little money and worked with "real" carpenters (nice), but winter's coming and still no shed!

Right now, I'm trying to finish our own master bedroom suite, so we can move in before winter--who said retirement meant kicking back?