Recommended stove for 1500 sq ft shop in SC?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2fireplacesinSC

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2015
mid South Carolina
may put up a new 1500 sq ft metal garage with good insulation. Good insulation, not super. Concrete floor. 14 ft height top of ceiling/roof.

Any recommendations on stove? Thinking around $2000 total-stove/chimney/etc and doing install myself with help from family.

This is for SC so no super lows. 1899 or so it got down to -17 apparently. Had 5 days in a row of snow in 2014. That was the first time that many days of snow in a row since 1890’s. Usually down to 20’s at the lowest and that not many nights. Grow zone 8a, so 10 to 15 deg F listed by usda as lowest expected temps.

Thanks.

may put up a new 1500 sq ft metal garage with good insulation. Good insulation, not super. Concrete floor. 14 ft height top of ceiling/roof.

Any recommendations on stove? Thinking around $2000 total-stove/chimney/etc and doing install myself with help from family.

This is for SC so no super lows. 1899 or so it got down to -17 apparently. Had 5 days in a row of snow in 2014. That was the first time that many days of snow in a row since 1890’s. Usually down to 20’s at the lowest and that not many nights. Grow zone 8a, so 10 to 15 deg F listed by usda as lowest expected temps.

Thanks.
Be aware that it is against code to install solid fuel burners in garages in the us

Last edited:
Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Interesting. I mean “shop”. I’ll see if I can change the title. Thanks.
Will there be gasoline present in the building? If so it is still against code. I am not saying you can't do it many people do. I am just making you aware it is against code and if you ever had to make an insurance claim it could be an issue.

Some insurance companies will even draw a line at it having a garage door on it - even if is not being used anything like a typical garage.

Some insurance companies will even draw a line at it having a garage door on it - even if is not being used anything like a typical garage.

Checked with insurance company and thankfully not a problem.

Will there be gasoline present in the building? If so it is still against code. I am not saying you can't do it many people do. I am just making you aware it is against code and if you ever had to make an insurance claim it could be an issue.

Well.... yes. There will likely be gasoline inside unless I can remember to always keep it outside under the shed portion.

No. No vehicles. Maybe a lawn mower.

Will do some oil changes in it though most likely but I don’t do much of that in winter anyway.
If it is a space you work on vehicles in it is against code to install a wood stove there. Again lots of people do it I am just warning you because it can lead to insurance claims being denied down the road.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
If it is a space you work on vehicles in it is against code to install a wood stove there. Again lots of people do it I am just warning you because it can lead to insurance claims being denied down the road.

Thanks. That’s helpful and good to know. Might change my plans some.