Recommended Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jvandermark

Nov 29, 2019
Ohio
I’m looking at getting a new insert and looking for recommendations. I have a bi-level house approx 1,800sf. The fireplace is on the lower level and the bedrooms are upstairs over the garage. I would like to find an insert that will help heat the house.

When I purchased the house there was an old Wood Chief insert I used it that winter and had horrible backdraft issues and not sufficient in heating. I had the chimney cleaned and was told to stop using it as there was no liner and looked like there was a chimney fire at one time.

So I’m looking for recommendations to help heat the house and hoping a new insert and liner will take care of the back draft issue.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will need a bit more info. If the fireplace is large enough, masonry construction, and the stove room is wide open to the other rooms and stairwell, then look at inserts in the 2.5-3.0 cu ft range.

It is masonary. The area is roughly 550sq ft that includes a bathroom and laundry room and is open to the staircase to the upper level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for inserts in the 2.5-3 cu ft range that will fit in the fireplace. Regency, Quadrafire, Pacific Energy, Enviro, VC, Jotul all make inserts in this size. Will this be dealer installed or DIY? If Dealer installed, what brands are sold in your area?