Recommendations on where to buy a chimney cleaning kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hey all,

I've got an insulated 6" SS 306 ti 13' liner for my wood stove (which should actually remain relatively clean due to the very short length, or so I hope) and a 25' masonry chimney on the other side of the house for the oil furnace - I've been told I should clean creosote out of that from time to time too, even though a recent furnace tune-up showed a very good draft there.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend where to buy and which kit to get? My BIL, a very smart chap who is extremely capable, recommends going with an extremely stiff polyester-type bristle rather than steel bristle.

Just looking for some guidance here so I can pick one up :)

Joe

gotta use the poly brushes for SS liners. I bought mine off amazon along with a set of rods. It was cheaper than paying someone for a single cleaning

For my stainless steel Class A chimney I went with a poly brush . . . ordered on line through NorthlineExpress.com . . . they were/are one of our advertisers here. I was quite pleased with the price and quick delivery.

I bought my liner from Chimney Liner Depot, I got a good price, came fast, but they're comunication seems to be lacking abit and they didn't send me any instructions with my kit. BTW I think you can due your furnace with aluminum and it shouldn't require insulation if I remember right.

I picked up a guardus chimney cleaning system for around $65 from Northline Express. It's a device you hook up to a drill and you stick it up through the stove and keep adding 3 ft rods untill you reach the top of the chimney. The tip is a 2 in ball with what looks like weed wacker string, you trim this to the size of your liner. It comes with 6 3 ft rods which is all you need for your chimney, mine was 22 ft of liner so I had to buy an xtra 2 rod pack for $15. I used it once and it did a great job, it paid for itself with one use as I had a professional do it which was an aquantince and he charged me $250 2 years ago.

Brian

That's it Sooteater by Guardus.
Thanks flyingpig.

Brian

Most hardware stores will have what you need. Some say you can use either a wire or poly brush. I use poly with our SS chimney but previously I used the wire brush. A good brush can be bought for less than $20. Fiberglass poles usually run $4-5.00. Other than that, you need a good ladder and a container to put the soot and creosote.

Joe, cleaning the chimney is actually quite simple and you will be amazed how simple it is and how quickly the job goes. Naturally your first time or two will be a bit slower because you are learning. Because you are fairly new at wood burning, check that chimney often. I remember one year we cleaned our chimney six times! Of course we burned green wood that winter so it was expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.