recommendations for recovering long awnings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
ky
anyone ever recover an aluminum tubing awning that prev had "canvas"?
Thought about aluminum roofing or aluminum coil stock....but the awnings Ive been looking at on CL are "curved".with about 34 inch projections... One I did buy is straight only has a 4 ft projection... 15 foot long. wanna use it for a "wing" of the SMALL. toolshed here...
Glass would be better.. Have some in Safety glass(large CL pcs. meant for a greenhouse.).. but Hubby said it would be too heavy and prob not the right width def not long enough just 6ft long...
yeah I know I have too much stuff...
but. THIS place is a lot less land and storage than the purgatory , mistake house we are trying to "clearout" and sell

I'm retired from the RV business doing repairs in local campgrounds for over 25 years. I replaced a few fabric awnings with Ondura from Lowe's. It is a corrugated fiberglass type of roofing that as long as you support it with a wood or aluminum framework holds up very well. I have pieces left over from jobs in use here for 10 years on chicken coops and siding for animal pens that is still like new. Screw it down with hex head screws with rubber washers like metal roofing. I did one with 1 1/2 PVC pipe to fit into the hills and valleys. Still there as far as I know. Sheets are 4 foot wide X 6 1/2 feet long. Overlap like shingles to make longer. Designed for barn roofing, just support it well for snow load.

recommendations for  recovering long awnings
I'm retired from the RV business doing repairs in local campgrounds for over 25 years. I replaced a few fabric awnings with Ondura from Lowe's. It is a corrugated fiberglass type of roofing that as long as you support it with a wood or aluminum framework holds up very well. I have pieces left over from jobs in use here for 10 years on chicken coops and siding for animal pens that is still like new. Screw it down with hex head screws with rubber washers like metal roofing. I did one with 1 1/2 PVC pipe to fit into the hills and valleys. Still there as far as I know. Sheets are 4 foot wide X 6 1/2 feet long. Overlap like shingles to make longer. Designed for barn roofing, just support it well for snow load.
this is another one of my Hair Brain. idea. in this pic.. Yeah I have read brochures for Ondura years ago from Lowes etc. thought about for a long time. such. but I end up using real aluminum corrugated (sp order) even for the RVCoop...with two pieces cut from ONE sheet of that semi thick "fiberglass white" for "skylights." Business was out of the "clear".... It turned out real nice I might say. Another well done Hubby project.other than not making enough overhang on the ends...
Plus it wouldn't Probably curve Correct?
Now we have several home made wood storing racks roofs (yeah another recycled project) made with that old green "fiberglass WAVY panels that came off an old discarded neighbors "patio cover" LOL. Hubby was amazed saying it prob over 50 yrs old. LOL
Thanks but I need more light to come thru . and I want to capture what solar winter exp we can...we put used (CL find)alum awnings on purgatory house. Hubby did long overhangs on THIS home frostbit the sides aren't as deep. So that summer south facing sun really blast the one set of glass doors...
As a SC need more light to get around in here. Thought about (another Hair brain scheme) to use real glass.
unfortunately I made a mistake(of many) and got large pcs of TEMPERED glass that came with used large windows.for purgatory house.
Would love to have a greenhouse. But no real room on this property.. (boo hoo)
Guys I so appreciate y'all advice

Last edited: