Recommendations for a tax credit eligible stove - 2200 SF split level home in Wisconsin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fronius

Feb 5, 2016
Madison, wi
Hello, I removed the useless prefab wood fireplace (that had a gas log installed) at our split-level house we recently moved into, and plan to install a wood stove in the alcove. The house is early 90s, pretty well insulated (2x6 plus an inch of foam walls), and I'd like to cut down on our propane use with the few acres of woods we have. I know it's probably not cost-effective, but my wife also loves making and sitting by a wood fire! We probably won't have time to make a fire every day, but hopefully most days of the week when it's cold out. I'd like to take advantage of the new tax credit, which I understand means an efficiency of 75%+ HHV. Thank you for any ideas!

Recommendations for a tax credit eligible stove - 2200 SF split level home in Wisconsin

There are several stoves that may work if this alcove is kept open. What is sold in your area? How well did the fireplace work in milder weather? Any draft issues, hard fire starting, or smoke rollout? If none, that's good.

This looks like a basement level install? How well will the heat go from this area to the rest of the house? Is there a wide, open stairwell nearby?

There are several stoves that may work if this alcove is kept open. What is sold in your area? How well did the fireplace work in milder weather? Any draft issues, hard fire starting, or smoke rollout? If none, that's good.

This looks like a basement level install? How well will the heat go from this area to the rest of the house? Is there a wide, open stairwell nearby?

There is an open stairwell at the other end of the lower level family room - see photo. There are also two air returns on this level, and we hope it might help a bit to run the furnace fan on continuous . This room has been the coldest in the house.

The fireplace had none of those issues, but put out anemic amounts of heat. I see dealers in the area that sell Quadrafire, Lopi, Jotul, Osburn, and there may be others.

Thanks for your feedback!

With a wood stove there, that location will be the warmest in the house. A simple table fan, placed on the floor at the top of the stairs so that it is blowing down into this room, will assist convection nicely. If it is a 12" fan then running on low speed will suffice. A mid-sized, 2-2.5 cu ft stove should make a nice difference. One important note. Modern stoves need fully seasoned firewood, under 20% mc at it's core. Some hardwoods like oak take 2 yrs to season, after it has been split and stacked.

Reactions: bikedennis