Rebuilding Defiant Encore-Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I'm in the process of fixing up a Defiant Encore.

An earlier thread on this stove:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/2549/

I bought a new upper and lower fireback, gasket kit, misc odds & ends, etc. In trying to remove the old firebacks, I also removed the cat element. It looks pretty beat. Another thing to add to the list. However, there is a plate behind where the element sits. It looks like some kind of heat deflector. I can't seem to figure out the part name from the schematic in the back of the manual. It looks like its been warped and its original position was at a 75 degree angle against the inside of the stove.

Should I try and bend it back, or just get a new part. I'm not quite sure how this piece comes out.

Also, I broke three out of the the four bolts holding the firebacks on. Any good methods for extracting the bolts?

Pictures of the cat element and what seems to be "overdone" refractory material are included, as well as the back of the stove, and the inside front. The refractory material lining the inside of the reburn chamber seems to be in OK shape. Just some cracks and flaking.

Thanks much!

Attachments

• Rebuilding Defiant Encore-Questions
    CatElement1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 480
    StoveInside1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 486
    SexyStoveBack1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 458
That stove has been severly overfired Better add th a new refactory package the pictures tell the condition flaking is not going to last
long

Removing rusted bolts I use BP blast automotive cutting oil I would soak the down each day a week in advance Then I would ping them witha hamer to shock them
and possibly loosining the bonded rust. I would then work trying to losten and tighten back and forth. Next I would heat them up cherry red.

Do you realize that $500 or more could go into that stove in parts? including bottom grate, cat combustor, refactory package, therear heat plate, and the secondary combustion cover
If I look at it again you may need side heat plates. That has been so over fired. I suspect all refactory joinst need to be re done. Which model is it so I can forward you the part numbers?

Dylan said:
It don't get in that condition from burning cardboard!!!
:lol:I bet it did ......... %-P

homebrewz , Did you buy that stove from Dylan ?

Well, this is turning out to be one hell of a day...

I bought it from someone local over the summer. I figured it had been overfired by the condition of the fireback, but I had no idea it was that bad.
I already have bought the new fireback plates and some other things. Came to about $350. At this point, whats another $150?

Its the Defiant Encore Model #0028.

I have already broken the bolt heads off. What is a good method for extracting them?

Extracting broken bolts is fairly easy if you got the tools...... I think Elk was talking about PB power blaster, it's the best stuff out there.... Using this and a decent set of extractors should get the bolts out Left hand drill bits even better sometimes bolts will come right out.
Here's the order to do it (not inside the house)
Heat up (if you don't have Oxy acetylene then try MAPP gas) the stud as much as you can and surrouding metal but concentrate on the studs. The expansion should break the rust, Then spray Power Blast on it (It's flamable stuff and will smoke quite a bit) wait about 10 minutes then spray again.. Once nearly cool use left hand drill bits (with drill in reverse) they should pop right out of there if not put an extractor in there and start turning.

Thanks.. well, I think I am just going to make the best of it. Its here and I already have most of the parts.

Does anyone know what the name of the deformed plate is in the last picture?

Thanks, discount stove is where I got the first round of parts from.

However, I can't quite tell from the schematic which part it is. Is it a heat deflector plate? Or perhaps the secondary air cover plate?

An alternative to extracting broken bolts it to drill them out and retap them. That's what the stove shop suggested when I rebuilt the 602. It actually went pretty quickly once I was all setup.

When I'm out in the field working on these stoves I don't have time to wait. I drill out the bolt and then re-tap. A file and center punch come in handy to make sure the drill bit is centered.

That part is called the Heat Exchanger. It is stainless steel. You will also want to replace both the right and left Deflectors, also stainless steel. Also replace the Refractory Assembly (includes the access panel cover).

The 0028 is the most difficult of the Encores to maintain and repair. It was the first attempt and they have since redesigned it for easier maintenance and repair. But, once you get it done you will have a fine stove. A new Encore will be upwards of $2000. If you get out of it for $500-$800 you'll make out pretty well.

Good luck,
Sean

Thanks for the infomation. I can read schematics (used to built simple DC circuits from them), but mechanical ones are a bit different.

When I took the metal Cat access panel off (part #62), a block of what looked like toasted refractory material came out with it. It came out with the Cat.. I was so astonished at the condition of the Cat that I didn't really pay attention to which came out first. Its in the first pic I posted at the beginning of the post, laying next to the Cat. I believe this to be part #42, which is also listed at "Cat Access Panel", but perhaps just a rectangle cut out of refractory material. Does that sound right?

(Edit) Never mind, a call to a stove supply shop confirmed that is part is included in the refractory package! Interestingly though, I called a local supplier and discountstove.com. Some prices were cheaper at one and more expensive at the other and vicea versa. Plus, with discount stove, there is shipping charges to consider. (ie: the cat element was $30 cheaper at my local supplier, but the heat deflectors were twice as much).

Status
Not open for further replies.