Reason to have a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jakee

Oct 27, 2020
New Jersey
Is keeping warm air in room from escaping through the stove air inlets when stove is not in use a reason to have a damper?
I have a Napoleon 1100 that I haven't used yet and I'm pretty sure you can't close the air inlets completely.

No, a damper is used to slow draft down if your experiencing high draft issues, some setups are more prone than others.

Is keeping warm air in room from escaping through the stove air inlets when stove is not in use a reason to have a damper?
I have a Napoleon 1100 that I haven't used yet and I'm pretty sure you can't close the air inlets completely.
Nope

The key dampers are not like a water valve. They are very loose fitting and usually have big holes in the actual valve. They are meant to partially obstruct the flue so would not provide the function you desire.

I have one, and I shut it when the stove is not in use. It cuts the draft well enough, and in summer, I get reverse draft, keeps hot humid air out. Oh yeah, stovepipe dampers are a great safety device to help prevent over firing your stove. I had to use it last night, blue flames were being sucked in latch side of door when stove damper set to low. Need another door latch tightening today!

I have one, and I shut it when the stove is not in use. It cuts the draft well enough, and in summer, I get reverse draft, keeps hot humid air out. Oh yeah, stovepipe dampers are a great safety device to help prevent over firing your stove. I had to use it last night, blue flames were being sucked in latch side of door when stove damper set to low. Need another door latch tightening today!
Cutting down on the air intake isn't sufficient for that?

Cutting down on the air intake isn't sufficient for that?
Usually closing down the air intake is sufficient, however, my stove is new and the door gasket is still breaking in. We've had a few cold days here so the stove has been running non stop. I did the adjustment and the door is closing much tighter now

Usually closing down the air intake is sufficient, however, my stove is new and the door gasket is still breaking in. We've had a few cold days here so the stove has been running non stop. I did the adjustment and the door is closing much tighter now
I'm glad I asked, I have a new gasket as well, I didn't know they needed to break in. Did you say you have a Napoleon 1100?

I'm glad I asked, I have a new gasket as well, I didn't know they needed to break in. Did you say you have a Napoleon 1100?
No I have a Drolet HT-3000. I've noticed on all of the modern stoves that I've had, the door gasket will compress needing an adjustment after the first week of burning, and then usually a second adjustment is needed a few weeks later. After that, they're good to go until they get hard and crunchy or break down and start to frey.

But yes, I will always have a stovepipe damper when the install allows. It's my personal preference from experience.

No I have a Drolet HT-3000. I've noticed on all of the modern stoves that I've had, the door gasket will compress needing an adjustment after the first week of burning, and then usually a second adjustment is needed a few weeks later. After that, they're good to go until they get hard and crunchy or break down and start to frey.

But yes, I will always have a stovepipe damper when the install allows. It's my personal preference from experience.
Maybe I should put one in.

Reactions: Sailrmike