Rear Venting Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
I maybe in the market for a new stove. My setup requires a rear flue, what is available out there for this kind of setup?

Many of the Jotul stoves can be configured as either a rear or top exit.

And there are sure to be other rear exit stoves.

If you give us an idea of the size of your house, intentions to burn (i.e. full time, part time), etc. we may have some specific suggestions.

Many of the Jotul stoves can be configured as either a rear or top exit.

And there are sure to be other rear exit stoves.

If you give us an idea of the size of your house, intentions to burn (i.e. full time, part time), etc. we may have some specific suggestions.

We just bought a Ranch style house with 1200sf on the main floor. I would like to use wood full time as its a electric baseboard otherwise

Is there a height restriction on the top of the flue outlet? That will influence options. If this is going to go in a fireplace, the lintel height may be a limiting factor.

My last stove was a hearthstone heritage that was a soapstone noncat with rear or top vent. If this is to be a full time home heater then go directly to the Woodstock site. Noncats to heat such a small space full time are really hard to work with.

Reactions: ddddddden and Tar12
My last stove was a hearthstone heritage that was a soapstone noncat with rear or top vent. If this is to be a full time home heater then go directly to the Woodstock site. Noncats to heat such a small space full time are really hard to work with.
1200 sq ft is not that small a non cat could easily be used effectivly. Yes absolutly a cat stove will give you much lower outputs but that doesnt mean noncats cant be used very sucessfully.

I'm just a touch north of the Fingerlakes and have a Woodstock Keystone heating ~1400 sq ft pretty easily. Our place is very well insulated and quite tight. A lot will depend on your floor plan and insulation / air sealing. I know it can get pretty windy down there, so that could be a major factor as well.

Reactions: Woody Stover
1200 sq ft is not that small a non cat could easily be used effectivly. Yes absolutly a cat stove will give you much lower outputs but that doesnt mean noncats cant be used very sucessfully.
Yes, I heated a 900 sq ft house with a non-cat for several years the milder Seattle climate. It worked well and even kept us warm during a record cold 8 degree spell. Unfortunately the pipe froze coming into the house with no heat in the basement. That was a nightmare.

So... I am looking at heating a open area of about 600 square feet (kitchen,dining, living) and then trying to push the heat to the rest of the 600 square feet which is bedrooms and a bathroom... It seems pretty well insulated and tight. I would be looking for the longest burning easiest to operate stove..

The Quad Explorer II, Jotul Castine, Hearthstone Shelburne, Hampton H300, are worth considering. In cat stoves there is the Woodstock Keystone or their Absolute Steel.

Last edited:
I am heating about 1600 sf with a castine rear vented. My house is a raised ranch or split level as I call it with the stove down stairs so it is different than a ranch.
It’s a great stove and heats well with a great view. I average 4-6 hour burns and am able to get the furthest bed rooms up to 68 or 70 when I am home burning on the weekends and open those doors.