Rear vent a non rear vent stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fennesseyb

Jan 23, 2018
WI
I'm looking at replacing my wood stove, but my current setup requires me to vent it straight back out of the old fireplace. I knew this would limit my stove choices, but I have the clearance to put a 90* pipe out the top of a stove and then go straight into the connection in the wall (inside another immediate 90* bend and up the chimney).

Will that work? Or am I truly limited to rear vent stoves.

I'm looking at replacing my wood stove, but my current setup requires me to vent it straight back out of the old fireplace. I knew this would limit my stove choices, but I have the clearance to put a 90* pipe out the top of a stove and then go straight into the connection in the wall (inside another immediate 90* bend and up the chimney).

Will that work? Or am I truly limited to rear vent stoves.
How tall is your chimney? If you have enough height you could probably overcome the draft restriction caused by doing that. But if you are under about 20 ft I wouldn't try it.

Also does the chimney have a properly sized liner in it?

Reactions: Fennesseyb
How tall is your chimney? If you have enough height you could probably overcome the draft restriction caused by doing that. But if you are under about 20 ft I wouldn't try it.

Also does the chimney have a properly sized liner in it?

Thanks! It's at least a 30 foot chimney, recently rebuilt with a 6" liner.

Thanks! It's at least a 30 foot chimney, recently rebuilt with a 6" liner.
With 30 feet I would say you will be ok with an elbow right on top of the stove.

Reactions: Fennesseyb