Rear Exhaust Disadvantages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr Photography

Jul 29, 2024
North Carolina
Hey guys. I'm new here and I'm looking to add a wood stove to my house that does not have one. I've had a stove in the past and loved it and I have a lot of wood on my land, so I'm looking to add one. The purpose for me is not to heat the whole house. Its to suppliment the gas furnace and to provide heat when the power is out. I live in the NC mountains and it can get cold, but not up north cold. Its going to be in a basement so the outdoor exhaust will probably run nearly 24 feet to reach the roof.
I like the look of the MF Fire Nova 2 using the rear exhaust for my house because I like how clean it is without seeing the exhaust pipe. I'm going to have a corner rock wall bulilt and exhaust through it to the outside wall.
Are there any downsides to the rear exhaust? I'm learning, so feel free to throw out anything I need to consider.
Thanks in advance.

Any horizontal run will hurt draft. But I'm your case that will be offset by the tall flue as the latter will increase draft.

However, it is best to go up if you can through the home; the flue gases will cool down less.

So if you can go straight up. If you can't, it should be fine if you limit the horizontal run to 4 ft max.

Hey guys. I'm new here and I'm looking to add a wood stove to my house that does not have one. I've had a stove in the past and loved it and I have a lot of wood on my land, so I'm looking to add one. The purpose for me is not to heat the whole house. Its to suppliment the gas furnace and to provide heat when the power is out. I live in the NC mountains and it can get cold, but not up north cold. Its going to be in a basement so the outdoor exhaust will probably run nearly 24 feet to reach the roof.
I like the look of the MF Fire Nova 2 using the rear exhaust for my house because I like how clean it is without seeing the exhaust pipe. I'm going to have a corner rock wall bulilt and exhaust through it to the outside wall.
Are there any downsides to the rear exhaust? I'm learning, so feel free to throw out anything I need to consider.
Thanks in advance.
If you go straight out the back of a stove it means you are going to have a hell of a time making something fit when you want to switch to a different stove. It also often means needing to move the stove every time you need to clean the chimney unless you can access that horizontal run from inside the stove

Read up on the Nova 2. It gets mixed reviews but on 24’ it might do better.

Read vent typically can result in more smoke spillage than a top vent. Honestly I’d to top before rear and 2 45s over a single 90.

Osborn matrix or inspire are modern looking stoves that don’t need legs if hearth is built correctly. There are others.

Great advice guys, I really appreciate it. I never really thought about the headache regarding cleaning and possibly replacing. Those two things might make me change my plan.
Glad to hear there is not issue with the long flue. I think the pipe is going to cost more than the stove.
My pipe is going to go past a deck walkway. From what I have read, this means it needs to be a triple insulated pipe.
Any other advice you can offer on the piping to keep my cost down?

Don't take triple wall pipe. The insulation is thinner than double wall because triple wall has an additional air gap.

Also, past a walkway: how long of a horizontal run will you have?