Rear breach options for old coal fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheBikePedaler

Apr 23, 2024
NS Canada
Hi,
I am trying to help out my mum. She has a 100+ year old house that has had a Vermont Castings Intrepid II installed since 1991 and it is getting a bit on the worn out side,(actually its roasted and should be reused as a boat mooring). It sits in front of what used to be a coal burning fireplace. It is not a large opening so putting an insert in is not an option and the hearth is rather small so that also limits things too. It is located on the main floor and is a rather open floor plan. About 900 sqft on each floor. Moderately drafty and somewhat insulated. This is a supplementary heat and back up for when the power goes out. She typically burns 1.5-2 chords of hardwood a year. Mum is about 150km away from me so it might take a bit before I can get some pictures of the hearth and measure things up.
There is probably 25' of chimney with a stainless steel 6" liner.
So far I am looking at
1. Morso 7110B
2. Jotul F-35
3. Vermont Castings Intrepid Flexburn
I know she was never very happy with her old Intrepid but from what I remember at the time it was the only thing that fit the requirements and I am not keen to drop $5000 on a new one.
So I guess what I am wondering is , will the burn time on the Morso be too short? It is tested for 4 hrs and has the highest BTU. It is the nicest looking of the three in my opinion and I can get it cheaper than the others by a noticeable amount.
What is the reliability of the Joutl like? I am a bit "put off" by the reviews of the F500 and its air leaks and reports of poor build quality but I really like the older 602 and F3.
I really enjoy reading the posts from members of this group and super appreciate the respect that is shown to each other in these forums. Thanks everyone for being awesome human beings!!