Really need advice and help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swanderek

Jan 16, 2018
Tacoma, WA
right now I am looking at a $3,000-$3500 insert with install for my wood prefab zero clearance fireplace. But it only heats 1000-1400 and I have a 2200 foot house. I have been spinning my wheels on this big time.
I have saw some people tear out their zero clearance and put in a new epa fireplace or wood stove. But if I go that route how much about am I looking for everything????
I have a temco 31x21x15

First off what make and model fireplace is it? Most do not allow for the installation of inserts in them

It can be done. You need to know what type of fireplace and what type of chimney you currently have. Then you find a fireplace similar to a Regency ex90, which is basically a wood stove built to zero clearance specs, that is approved for the type of chimney you have (or replace the chimney with an approved model). Tear all the old stuff out, install the new, frame it in and finish it according to mfg. instructions and local building codes and you're in business.

As bholler said though, most fireplaces do not allow installation of an insert. Those that do, you have to read all the fine print well enough to find out that in actuality, you can't do it. Not that it stops people from doing it.

Reactions: bholler
As with any job, it depends on what needs done. The fireplaces themselves start around 43-4500. The add in the demo, framing and installation, chimney if needed, hearth extension, finish the exterior...maybe with stone or brick, whatever else needs done...... it could easily turn into a very big job. 8-10k or up? It's not one of those "slap it in there" kind of jobs.

If you don't need to replace the entire chimney that would make a big dent in the overall cost.

Page 16 line 20 of the manual clearly says no inserts. So you cant do it.

And when he says you can't do it, he just means you can't put an insert in the old ZC. He doesn't mean you can't tear it out, rebuild, and put in a stove.

As previously mentioned, could be a big project, but it could be worth it if you don't already have cheap heat and you're staying in the house for some years.

Reactions: bholler
I am just confused I guess. What makes some fireplaces ok for inserts and some not.
I have worked 4 local shops and a certified chimney sweep that came out and said my fireplace could have a zero clearance insert like a 1200i. Thanks for your patience.
Was it some fireplace companies just don’t want the liability?
Even my insurance said it’s fine as long as a licensed shop installes it I am fine too.

One option that might be possible would be to put a rear-vent freestanding stove in front of the insert. This would depend on the hearth, which most likely would need extending. Lintel height would have be high enough so that the flue clears under it. The stove's clearances would also need to be honored with a full stainless liner run up the chimney.

And when he says you can't do it, he just means you can't put an insert in the old ZC. He doesn't mean you can't tear it out, rebuild, and put in a stove.

As previously mentioned, could be a big project, but it could be worth it if you don't already have cheap heat and you're staying in the house for some years.
Thanks for clarifying that my post wasnt very clear.