RE: Sad story in southern Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you hate to hear stories like this......

I feel so terrible for that family. I couldn't imagine.

pen

That is beyond horrible.

Really makes you feel for that family. I'm sure especially the grandfather is really torn apart from this.

So sad.

Ironically, we were talking about the same at work last week and how most people don't realize the dangers. Unfortunately, it's happens more than it should because the children like to play around the adults while the tree is being cut. The kid is hard to see on the other side of the root ball and most people don't even realize it's a danger.

I finished cutting a large oak last week that still had the root ball on it. Sure enough, close to one of my final cuts, it popped up. A hidden danger for sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Really makes you feel for that family. I'm sure especially the grandfather is really torn apart from this.

Yeah. I can't imagine how the grandfather is probably beating himself up over this.

jeff_t said:
This is horrible to hear about. If information had been available to this grandfather, he wouldn't be in the horrible place he is likely in now. I just can't imagine the grief involved.

I hate to sound like a public service announcement, but let's all do our part to keep our eyes open for uprooted trees so we can warn someone. Maybe keep that novice cutter in mind and work this information into a conversation. Better for us all to seem like weirdos and know-it-alls and to save the life of a little one, then to say nothing and read about it in the news.

these kind of horror stories and automotive ejections are why I could never be a fireman or first responder paramedic.

I doubt I could do it too many times.

My brother in law lost his brother about 5 years ago while they were cutting down trees, its what they did for a living and they had a freak accident, another kid I grew up with had another freak accident with a tree falling into a dead tree and it fell on him and hes paralyzed from the neck down.
The poor grandfather must feel terrible.

billb3 said:
these kind of horror stories and automotive ejections are why I could never be a fireman or first responder paramedic.

I doubt I could do it too many times.

Fortunately for most of us these types of calls are far and few between . . . that said . . . this call did not involve me . . . and yesterday's double fatality (from ejections ironically enough) involved our crew, but not me directly.

Wow... Thanks for posting.

I'm reminded of my best friend who was lucky to have missed serious injury when a long root was popped free of the ground an suddenly swept up across the top of the 'dozer. It was a very close call, and we put a better guard on after that. Sadly he was killed in a log yard accident 16 years ago.

Training every one around to recognize stored energy is a challenge.

Unthinkable. Especially to those of us that have children. Is there some sort of memorial fund or collection going on to help the parents through this unbearable time?
Does anyone know?

That is a tragic story and a reminder to always know where your kids are at all times.. I can only imagine how the grandfather feels ... Thanx for sharing that story..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.