Re- gasketing VC Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
My new gasket kit came with three sizes of gasket and a bottle of adhesive. No directions.

One goes on the door, one under the griddle top, one under the outlet pieces.

The middle sized one looks like there is metal thread woven into it.

Where do the three sizes go?

My new gasket kit came with three sizes of gasket and a bottle of adhesive. No directions.

One goes on the door, one under the griddle top, one under the outlet pieces.

The middle sized one looks like there is metal thread woven into it.

Where do the three sizes go?

I just put new gaskets on a Vigilant I picked up, may be similar. The larger gasket is for the doors, the middle with the metal mesh is for the griddle. The small dia in my kit was for the glass panels in the doors, which I didn’t do. I also didn’t do the outlet, but I had leftover from the large diameter, may have been for the outlet.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I just put new gaskets on a Vigilant I picked up, may be similar. The larger gasket is for the doors, the middle with the metal mesh is for the griddle. The small dia in my kit was for the glass panels in the doors, which I didn’t do. I also didn’t do the outlet, but I had leftover from the large diameter, may have been for the outlet.
I forgot about the glass.

Thank you for your response!

The griddle gets the most use, as I think most people load through it, the metal reinforcement makes sense.

I'll have to do some more research to figure out the outlet. It's causing me some trouble.

What adhesive did you use?

I used a tube of Imperial stove and gasket cement in a caulk gun, easier to lay a uniform bead than the squeeze tube that came with my kit.

I used a tube of Imperial stove and gasket cement in a caulk gun, easier to lay a uniform bead than the squeeze tube that came with my kit.
I was considering this, maybe even using high temperature rtv silicone. The squeeze tube is pretty small.

don't use rtv silicon it can't take the temp.

I got the door gaskets and griddle gasket in last night.

I still need to clean the socket gasket groove, that one should be easy.

I'm having real difficulty getting the window gaskets in. It's round, and specifies no cement. I can't get it to stay in the ledge when I apply the screw tabs. Just rolls out in one or more spots.

I'm considering a few dabs of adhesive, just to get it to stick temporarily. It'll be fine once it's clamped in, even if the adhesive burns the first firing.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated!