Raising the fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pashtett

Dec 15, 2019
NJ, USA
Before I start getting quotes, wondering how much of work it is to raise the whole fireplace opening above the floor. As of now, it's on the floor level and does not look as nice as it could've if it was few inches higher.
Raising the fireplace
House is old and I am pretty sure you will mention "not up to code" condition the way it is now

Can be done, though it might be expensive depending on the construction. A mason would need to raise the lintel.

Raising it a few inches may be possible by just laying a course of brick ontop of what is there. If you want more than that you will need to raise the lintle. That could put it to close to the damper frame which would then need to be raised which would mean reworking the top of the firebox and the smoke chamber. It could get quite expensive.

What isn't to code? I am not seeing a problem.