Rais cookstove-super efficient?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
We have a customer who just bought a home. In it are 2 Rais cookstoves. It's a neat look! They had the owners manual on the counter so I checked it out! The claimed efficiency for these stoves is pretty amazing as they dont look new.

Attachments

• Rais cookstove-super efficient?
    20190418_101235.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 211
    20190418_101417.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 217
    20190418_101255.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 210
    20190418_101309.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 216
    20190418_101322.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 209
Those are pretty neat, but I have a feeling even 70% is generous. Even the most efficient modern cook stoves still come in at 75%

Edit: Perhaps I'm mistaken!

Last edited:
I have a Rais Wittus cookstove. Used to be in our kitchen, now warms the greenhouse some cold nights. Mine is the tall, rectangular model, but the construction is probably similar in quality to the round model there in your post.

I have had it since new sometime around 1990. It was used for all my baking and a lot of other cooking and it kept the kitchen quite toasty. Quality of materials and construction excellent. I purchased an Aga eventually, as we needed more oven space.

The Rais is, I'd say, fairly efficient, though I cannot give you numbers. There are four air controls with which one can fine-tune the burn and etc. Not as efficient as the Aga or our Woodstock cat, but not bad for its time.

Rais/Wittus is a premium brand that makes high quality products. Their stoves are noted for innovation and high-efficiency. The Wittus Twin-Fire is one of the most efficient and radiant stoves I had seen in operation. This stove is a model 3 or 4, the rectangular box version was a model 1 or 2 depending on size.

Reactions: SpaceBus
70 isn't a crazy number if you are always burning it hot as directed in the manual. You get some secondary combustion even in stoves with no secondary combustion system when the stove is cranking.