Rainbows (no unicorns)......Is my glass losing its temper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TedyOH

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2015
NE Ohio
Is this an early sign of failure? Can only see it at certain angles......PE Neo insert....4 years of burning. .....thanks.

15687215123411579109636.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope you don't have tempered glass so it can't loose it's temper. You have ceramic glass. Just clean it

Some stove glass has an IR coating. I'm not sure if the PE Neo does or not, but if it does this may be what has been affected? Best to ask PE.

If you haven’t made a habit of cleaning the glass it may be etched. If ash is left on the glass for long periods of time it turns it ashy looking, nothing can be done at that point.

Nope you don't have tempered glass so it can't loose it's temper. You have ceramic glass. Just clean it

This is what it looked like after I cleaned off the fine white haze....as long as it nott going to crack while I'm gone or sleeping .....that was my concern...thanks
Some stove glass has an IR coating. I'm not sure if the PE Neo does or not, but if it does this may be what has been affected? Best to ask PE.

Will do....thanks....

If you haven’t made a habit of cleaning the glass it may be etched. If ash is left on the glass for long periods of time it turns it ashy looking, nothing can be done at that point.

Feels silky smooth on the inside. ......I did leave the ever so slightly white ash on the glass since Springs though

I never knew that. I didn't clean my Progress glass very often and it got extremely etched. This year I replaced the glass and will be more diligent cleaning it.