Radiant Tubing for Cooling ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtnxtreme

Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2007
Can the radiant tubing in a geo thermal system be used to cool a floor just like it’s used for Heating a floor or is duct work a must ? What is the best way to cool with geothermal system ? And this is up north where it will only be needed 2 months of the year .

It could be used for that. Battleship magazines used chilled water radiators to cool them. As to the best way, I’m not sure. I could see where you could get a lot of condensation if random cold surfaces are placed around a house.

I would not.
You're going to get slippery floors every now and then.

ya I’m seeing that now after the previous post, but how do you take advantage of the geothermal to cool air ?

2 ideas come to mind:

Run a dehumidifier. If the moisture isn’t in the air, it can’t condense on the floor.

Run it through a separate zone with a water to air heat exchanger? A fan blowing through it would probably keep the air warm enough at the exchanger to keep condensation down and cool the air enough that you’ll enjoy it. Like the radiator in a car, but cool water going through it.

Reactions: sloeffle