Quiet insert blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2019
Wellsboro, PA
For those of you that are heating with a fireplace insert, do any folks think their blower is quiet? I’m starting to research inserts to replace the 30 year old woodstove that is sitting on the hearth and plumbed into a chimney liner. I like quiet.

Mine is noticeable on full speed but when I turn it down to about 80% its fine. The TV or music is always on anyway.

If you are looking for library quiet it ain't happening.

I have a 2001 PE Summit insert and I'm starting to get some fan rattle noise... I hope it doesn't mean my blower is on it's way out. But when it's not making the rattle/buzz, I can turn it down to around 75% and it's pretty quiet. Have you tried turning the fan speed down some? I think by turning my blower speed down, I get slightly longer burns, slightly hotter cruising temps and a warmer house with less noise. I thought blower running full tilt was definitely warm the house better, but that's not so in my case.

I have a 2001 PE Summit insert and I'm starting to get some fan rattle noise... I hope it doesn't mean my blower is on it's way out. But when it's not making the rattle/buzz, I can turn it down to around 75% and it's pretty quiet. Have you tried turning the fan speed down some? I think by turning my blower speed down, I get slightly longer burns, slightly hotter cruising temps and a warmer house with less noise. I thought blower running full tilt was definitely warm the house better, but that's not so in my case.
Could be a sign that accumulated dust and dirt has thrown the fan out of balance. Try giving it a good cleaning.

Could be a sign that accumulated dust and dirt has thrown the fan out of balance. Try giving it a good cleaning.
I did just recently clean it. Maybe that was the problem! Never used to make a noise. Now it comes and goes.

I don't get a noticable performance gain by running my blower on high. It's at about 1/3 speed 99% of the time. My fridge and my blower are both running right now and the noise they're making are about even.

They had a Lopi Liberty burning in a local stove shop that I heard a couple years back, it was pretty quiet. I'm assuming their inserts are, as well.

There are two fans on my Northstar, and they're nothing short of obnoxious. I've taken them out and cleaned a couple times, even put some neoprene washers under the feet where they mount to the floor under the firebox, and while that stopped most of the vibration noises, the whirring noise they make is awful for the small amount of air that I feel moving.

Having a blower and an insert are synonymous. They are almost a requirement to deliver heat to the desired area. Yes fans can be louder or noticed, but are not really an option. On my Princess insert on high the fan sounds like a typical desk fan on high, slightly louder than a Vornado but not objectionable. No problem in hearing the TV or radio over the fan and they do not conflict.

The fans in my blaze king ashford insert are quiet. I’ll notice it above 50% but not bad. Full throttle loud as microwave I’d say.

Reactions: spudman99
My fan on low is pretty quiet, on high it's somewhat loud. Have to turn the TV up. The fan only has low/high, no dial. I use high when it's 20F or colder and it definitely helps heat those cold nights versus the fan on low.

It's all in how you look at it.

My wife has been sleeping with a fan blowing on her for 13 years and counting. LOL. It's like a white noise now.

I played with my new Enviro Kodiak Insert blower today. On low I can’t even hear it really but can feel air if I stand in front of it. On high it’s comparable to, perhaps a tad louder than, my convection oven. My husband and I both think it’s quieter than the blower on our former Lopi Revere, but they’re in very different spaces so we may not be able to judge accurately. The Lopi could be run quietly, but it’s highest speed was too loud for conversation.

One thing I like about both blowers that we’ve had is that they are variable speed rather than simply a high/low option. It’s nice to be able to balance both heat needs and quiet needs.

Reactions: Woody Stover