Questions re: stove pipe....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiff

Nov 13, 2013
west coast
Finally found a used 2002 Lopi Endeavor in very good shape. I had a stove local stove shop quote pipe and labor and the pipe was double walled. Very expensive! I went down to Lowes store and found double wall "duravent" pipe for a 1/4 of the price. What is the differences in double wall pipe tat could justify the mark up? Could I get double wall pipe at the big box stores that would be as good as what stove stores sell?

Please give me some insight.

Thanks

Prolly thinner gauge at Lowes..none the less it would still last for many years.
Mine were installed in 87 and are still fine. I'm guessing the heavier pipe though..single wall.

Chances are that the pipe you found was interior double wall.

BUT, if it is labeled "HT" and "All Fuel" and is not painted, then it's probably the right stuff....

And, yes, it would be similar to what many stores sell. There are super premium brands, such as Excel, but most any brand will do for most installations.

As an example, this is the right grade of stuff:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraVent...iple-Wall-Chimney-Stove-Pipe-9017SS/100144227

It's like most things. You can go buy a Range Rover for top dollar, or buy a Ford Escape on the cheap. They will both do the job.
The hearth store is selling top of the line pipe along with support, accessories, advice, warranty, and installation if needed. If you buy The pipe from lowes, you are on your own. If your a hands on guy and plan to install yourself, then you should be ok with the Lowes pipe. You just might find all the accessories that you might need.

I think what happened is you were quoted for stainless steel, double wall, insulated class A chimney pipe and then went to lowes and found double wall, air gap, black painted, interior connector pipe. Big price difference there. Both are often called "double wall".

Reactions: Owen1508
could be many things hard to say without seeing the type of pipe each one has. Could be like highbeam said could be they speced 316 and you looked at 304 (which 304 is fine for wood) could be lowes was galvanized exterior or could be they just had a really big markup who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.