Questions from first time wood-burning fireplace user

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ecalperif

Aug 2, 2024
US
Hello all,

We recently bought a home with a wood burning fireplace. We are excited to use it. The previous owners say they installed a new liner and chimney cap a couple of years ago, and that the fireplace is safe to use.

That said, I do have a few questions.

1. Previous owners did not use it, but they say the owners before them used an electric-powered device (images below) that blew warm air from the fire into the home. Has anyone seen or used one of these? Would you try to use it, keep it and just burn logs in top of it (as I assume previous owners did), or remove it and replace it with a new grate?
Questions from first time wood-burning fireplace user
IMG_5254.jpg
IMG_5256.jpg

2. There is one switch above the doors and one below the doors that slides open and shut decorative slats. What is the purpose of this? To allow or not allow heat into the room? Image of one of these switches is below.
IMG_5255.jpg

3. Is it ok that the back of the fireplace is almost entirely blackened?

4. While having a fire, we should keep the glass doors open but the metal screen closed, correct?

Finally, as someone new to this, I am open to any advice from seasoned wood-burning fireplace users about how to have fires safely and enjoyably.

Thank you!

IMG_5253.jpg