Question to those with flue thermometers...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tron

Feeling the Heat
Jan 1, 2020
Jackson MS
I just ordered one for this season (for a double-wall stovepipe) and i was just wondering how high I should mount it.
I read that it shouldn't be less than 18 inches above the stove, so I'm thinking 2-3 feet above the stove somewhere? Like a bit below eye level?

Where do y'all have their thermometers mounted?

I just ordered one for this season (for a double-wall stovepipe) and i was just wondering how high I should mount it.
I read that it shouldn't be less than 18 inches above the stove, so I'm thinking 2-3 feet above the stove somewhere? Like a bit below eye level?

Where do y'all have their thermometers mounted?
18 to 24 above the stove

18” above the stove. Managed to just avoid drilling through 4 layers by staying under the overlap of the telescopic pipe section. I prefer going through just 2.

It’s really very useful. Only thing better would be an auber thermocouple electronic meter with display. Getting a little dorky though!

Reactions: TechWrench and Gunn
Read the manual when you get it. IIRC mine said 24-30 inches above the stove collar, but it was a few years ago. As above, I found a height that didh't require drilling all four possible layers of telescope pipe but still met the guidance in the manual. Avoid thejoint, drill just two layers of telescoope if at all possible.

18” above the stove. Managed to just avoid drilling through 4 layers by staying under the overlap of the telescopic pipe section. I prefer going through just 2.

It’s really very useful. Only thing better would be an auber thermocouple electronic meter with display. Getting a little dorky though!
Hey, I have one of those

Hey, I have one of those

I’ve been shopping for one too. Mostly for the single wall in the shop stove. Surface temp isn’t cutting it. Actually very variable across different areas of the pipe.

Thanks, everybody!

My telescopic pipe section is roughly 4' long, and the inner section is the lower one, so I will not have to drill though 4 layers (and have trouble lining them up again after cleaning the flue).
18-24" above stove sounds like a good idea. The gases will probably not have cooled much if I go a foot higher, but that range is easily doable, so I'll stick with it.

I bought the Condar Fluegard, that seemed to be a good choice.

Reactions: Highbeam