Question on used Hearthstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ericgio87

Aug 22, 2020
Coventry, CT
Looking for feedback of things that a knowledgeable wood stovesman would say about a used stove. Hearthstone Homestead, came with manuals and paperwork. Owner said he used as main source of heat for 6 years. Switching heating sources which is why they were selling. Used seasoned wood, said never burnt too hot. Not sure about inside though. Clearly used but anything to be worried about or fix (to the naked eye?). Sadly the outside soapstone does have a small crack on each side, but I did a bulb test and no light comes through. Owner said it was cosmetic only and ran fine...

Attachments

• Question on used Hearthstone Homestead
    20200822_160002.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 177
    20200822_155912.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 171
    20200822_155900.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 175
    20200822_155834.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 170
    20200822_155806.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 161
    20200822_155758.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 156
    20200822_155737.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 155
First off, it’s missing the very important baffle plate that lies on top of those tubes. You can see he melted the air wash plate. He ran it hot! I used a heritage for 7 years and the hinge pins and door latch wore out. Look at those mechanisms for further damage.

First off, it’s missing the very important baffle plate that lies on top of those tubes. You can see he melted the air wash plate. He ran it hot! I used a heritage for 7 years and the hinge pins and door latch wore out. Look at those mechanisms for further damage.
Thanks. Yea he had firebrick above the tubes, he said that the plate in these models cracked a lot and made some modification to put the brick ontop instead? I took it out during transport but forgot to put back before taking the pictures. Anything else I should be worried about? Sounds like maybe I just buy a new baffle plate instead of doing the brick thing he had setup.

Thanks. Yea he had firebrick above the tubes, he said that the plate in these models cracked a lot and made some modification to put the brick ontop instead? I took it out during transport but forgot to put back before taking the pictures. Anything else I should be worried about? Sounds like maybe I just buy a new baffle plate instead of doing the brick thing he had setup.
What modifications did he make? That makes me a bit nervous.

What modifications did he make? That makes me a bit nervous.
Hmm, ill have to ping him on it. As I look at the picture with what you're describing, I'm wondering if he simply meant he replaced the baffle plate with the 4 firebricks he had up there and called that a "modification" (or is my poor lack of understanding). He said he was still using it just last year with no issues. I was just worried if it looks like its structurally okay or how to tell. I was afraid it looked like he was overburning myself and not sure if I just wasted 500. Im hoping I can clean it up, I can buy a baffle plate instead of the bricks, and keep making sure the right wood and temps are used moving forward to make it last longer.

The baffles are not terribly expensive. My last one was 60$ so maybe 100$ now. There is usually a funny little stainless steel bracket that attaches to the front tube to support the oem baffle. You’ll want to contact hearthstone for a parts diagram to help you restore the missing pieces.

The baffles don’t break by themselves. They are fragile and jabbing them with firewood in this small stove is the most likely cause of breakage. Next most common is jabbing it from above with a chimney brush!

Make it right. Not with firebrick on top. Hope to heck get didn’t “modify” anything but just half assed a repair that you can restore.