Question - New Fireplace, Stone Cracked?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaunt10

Aug 21, 2024
Maryland
Hi All,

I'm moving in a new home and noticed around the fireplace there is cracks on the bottom and top of the stone. On one of the "cracks" I can feel a edge with my finger tip. The builder reached out to the branch manager of the subcontractor and they stated it's veining of the stone and if it were to get replaced, it'll look the same. I'm just trying to see if I'm being jerked around or this is common on how it looks.

Thank you

Last edited:
Imo you're being jerked around. There is veining, but it runs perpendicular to the cracks....

Sure looks like cracks and a lot of them. If necessary, get a professional mason to evaluate and provide a written assessment.

Is this a gas fireplace?

Is this a gas fireplace?

This could actually be natural veining. Looks similar to macaubus which is a quartzite .

The real veining, as in your picture, is much less sharply defined. The lines in the pic in the top link you provided have the same fuzzy edges as the horizontal lines in those slabs.

In the pic of the OP this is very different.

The real veining, as in your picture, is much less sharply defined. The lines in the pic in the top link you provided have the same fuzzy edges as the horizontal lines in those slabs.

In the pic of the OP this is very different.
It is hard to tell what is going on in the OPs picture. My point is that there are stones that have veins that go in the opposite direction of the movement of the stone. The OP needs to find out what the stone is and if this particular type of stone has these types of veins.

It is hard to tell what is going on in the OPs picture. My point is that there are stones that have veins that go in the opposite direction of the movement of the stone. The OP needs to find out what the stone is and if this particular type of stone has these types of veins.
Thanks for the response. The builder said it's granite stone. Not sure if granite has looks like your example of Quartzite Stone. The bottom piece I felt a lip of the crack so they are replacing it but the top piece they said they won't replace because it's sealed even though both lines look the same. I don't think someone would accept a granite kitchen countertop with cracks all over that is sealed, unless I'm mistaken.

I wouldn't have accepted that, never make the final payment on anything untill you are fully satisfied with it. Places are much more reasonable on fixing problems when they are still owed money.

So I got information on what exactly it is. The builder first stated it was granite but it's actual marble. This is what was installed. The example picture below, I can see hairline vein or faint crack on the right side but that looks natural and I'd be happy with that. Ours doesn't look natural, for the bottom and top.

Update: I went to the company who sells this demo site and these are the pictures. Looks like that is how it's suppose to be even though they had pencil looking lines(besides the huge filled crack) which is more acceptable to me. I only wished someone told us in advance this is what it'll look like because you had 0% chance know from the sample piece. Thank you everyone for your input.

Question - New Fireplace, Stone Cracked?Question - New Fireplace, Stone Cracked?Question - New Fireplace, Stone Cracked?

Update: I went to the company who sells this demo site and these are the pictures. Looks like that is how it's suppose to be even though they had pencil looking lines(besides the huge filled crack) which is more acceptable to me. I only wished someone told us in advance this is what it'll look like because you had 0% chance know from the sample piece. Thank you everyone for your input. View attachment 329099View attachment 329101View attachment 329100
Just for the future. Whenever you are using natural stone for a fireplace, countertops or other projects you need to go and pick out your slab at a stone yard. Stone is different from slab to slab and you want to make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Samples are so small and you do not get the full picture. Stone slabs also differ from lot to lot. Even if they were to replace pieces on your fireplace if the stone is from a different lot it may not match what you have.

Just for the future. Whenever you are using natural stone for a fireplace, countertops or other projects you need to go and pick out your slab at a stone yard. Stone is different from slab to slab and you want to make sure you know exactly what you are getting. Samples are so small and you do not get the full picture. Stone slabs also differ from lot to lot. Even if they were to replace pieces on your fireplace if the stone is from a different lot it may not match what you have.
Good point however we were never given that opportunity. The company will be replacing everything so this has been resolved.

Yes it's gas.
OK. I'm glad you are getting things fixed. I asked about the fireplace type due to concern about the hearth extension in front. Wood fireplaces usually need better insulation. As long as it meets the requirement of the manufacture, it should be GTG.