Question about tee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lead Hot

Oct 15, 2011
Upper Piedmont, NC
Last year I installed my Fireview as close to the unprotected wall in the corner that was allowed (12"). I found the wall reached 150 degrees and the wife wasn't to happy about that. I was also considering tiling the wall with the standard one inch air gap. In either event I want to pull the stove out a couple of inches. My current setup is a horizontal run of double wall stove pipe to tee then into rear of stove. What would I need to increase the length of pipe from stove to tee. Since I didn't do the install myself I'm not sure what I'll need.

Last year I installed my Fireview as close to the unprotected wall in the corner that was allowed (12"). I found the wall reached 150 degrees and the wife wasn't to happy about that. I was also considering tiling the wall with the standard one inch air gap. In either event I want to pull the stove out a couple of inches. My current setup is a horizontal run of double wall stove pipe to tee then into rear of stove. What would I need to increase the length of pipe from stove to tee. Since I didn't do the install myself I'm not sure what I'll need.
A hot-feeling wall could be alarming, but this article may ease your minds: (broken link removed to http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hohotwall.htm)

This is an interesting item from that article:
... modern hearth product clearance test labs ... require that, even at the highest possible firing rate, the listed clearances ensure that the surfaces surrounding the stove or fireplace being tested never reach 170° F.
That seems very conservative.

Reactions: burnt03
Aside from fixing the walls you just need more horizontal pipe (most any hardware can cut pipe to length). But because this will extend the horizontal section quite a bit you need to double check to see if they put a rise in that section. Code calls for 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal but you can exceed code too. Ours is closer to 1/2" rise per foot and we have no problem with draft.

That puts me at ease a bit. I still might pull the stove though. Is the pipe that goes from the stove to the double wall tee just a piece of single wall pipe or perhaps double wall pipe? If so can I just cut a piece to fit or is this an adapter pipe sized specifically to fit?

Sorry late post. I have telescoping double wall pipe. Is it possible I just make the connection with the longer horizontal run and raise the teloscopic pipe a little?

Do you have an angled corner install? I am trying to figure out how 12 " clearance to combustable can be to code with a Fireview. I had a Fireview for years, and rear clearance to combustables WITH a heat shield in place was 18 inches from the back of the stove. I think it is also 10" from the double wall vertical pipe. I'm pretty certain side clearance is way more than 12 inches as well.

You can adjust your vertical adjustable double wall up and down as needed easily. See what length you need for your horizontal pipe, then see what the manufacturer of your pipe has: either an entire new repalcement pipe, a short adjustable pipe, or a quite short adapter pipe will likely be available that will work for you. This much pipe will not be too expensive. I would not cut a double wall pipe. You should be able to easily do the pipe exchange yourself. Hardest part of the whole thing will be moving the stove.

Just be sure your clearances are by the manual. :)

Do you have an angled corner install? I am trying to figure out how 12 " clearance to combustable can be to code with a Fireview. I had a Fireview for years, and rear clearance to combustables WITH a heat shield in place was 18 inches from the back of the stove. I think it is also 10" from the double wall vertical pipe. I'm pretty certain side clearance is way more than 12 inches as well.

You can adjust your vertical adjustable double wall up and down as needed easily. See what length you need for your horizontal pipe, then see what the manufacturer of your pipe has: either an entire new repalcement pipe, a short adjustable pipe, or a quite short adapter pipe will likely be available that will work for you. This much pipe will not be too expensive. I would not cut a double wall pipe. You should be able to easily do the pipe exchange yourself. Hardest part of the whole thing will be moving the stove.

Just be sure your clearances are by the manual. :)
According to their website: http://www.woodstove.com/index.php/fireview rear clearance is 30" or 18" with a proper shields including stack shield (apparently a stove-mounted shield). Maybe this stove has one.

Edit: Here's the manual: (broken link removed to http://www.woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/PDFs/fvinstallmanual.pdf)
From the avatar, this looks like a corner install. On page 7 is does seem to allow 12" from the corners in a corner installation, but only with the shield. I'm not certain whether they mean stove shield or wall shield, though. Clearances with a wall shield are covered on page 8, but that chart does not specifically mention a corner install.

Aside from fixing the walls you just need more horizontal pipe (most any hardware can cut pipe to length). But because this will extend the horizontal section quite a bit you need to double check to see if they put a rise in that section. Code calls for 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal but you can exceed code too. Ours is closer to 1/2" rise per foot and we have no problem with draft.

double wall cant be cut to length, but there are short adjustable lengths that could be used

Rideau, the double wall stove pipe allows for install with six inch clearance to combustibles.

Sprinter, page seven is where I got the information for 12" clearance for a corner install with the stove shield.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The clearances are to the combustible wall behind the shield, not to the wall shield itself. Can't say as I see any reason to move the stove at all. The wall shield will make a huge difference. Put in a proper shield and the wall behind it will stay quite cool.

Rideau, the double wall stove pipe allows for install with six inch clearance to combustibles.

Sprinter, page seven is where I got the information for 12" clearance for a corner install with the stove shield.

You beat me to the punch on this one as I was all ready to post about that page.

Naw, not really. ;lol

Thanks, that sounds alot better than dragging the stove out farther. I think I'll give that a try. Just wondering will a wall shield radiate more heat out into the room?

Thanks, that sounds alot better than dragging the stove out farther. I think I'll give that a try. Just wondering will a wall shield radiate more heat out into the room?

More than likely you will notice it right away.

Technically maybe, but I doubt you'll notice it. The main thing it will do is drop those wall temps about 60 degrees or more.

Technically maybe, but I doubt you'll notice it. The main thing it will do is drop those wall temps about 60 degrees or more.
Probably the thing you'll notice the most is new piece of mind, and that's worth it alone.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.