Q&A Question about stove size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi-I going to buy a stove very soon. My main concern is buying a stove that will be too big and make the room too hot. I'm not using it to heat the house but mainly for coziness. I'm therefore leaning toward a smaller stove. However- why do larger stoves generate more heat? If I put the same amount of wood in a large stove versus a small one- isn't the amount of energy the same.I've seen a stove I like but it's a little big. The next one down in size doesn't have the same appearance or fireview. Can I buy a medium sized stove (versus small) and still control the heat?

Answer:

A big fire in a small stove is more efficient than a small fire in a big stove. Sort of like a car engine- more efficiency at higher revs..... That said- most stoves today are EPA approved to burn well at lower rates- so it may not hurt to get the medium stove

Link: Information Articles for you

Reactions: theora55
Status
Not open for further replies.